Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me the sex of this convict please there is no orange but only 1.5 inches roughly

Is this one a female much shorter fins yet no orange and smaller + bullied by the above one..

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd wait till they get a little bit bigger to be sure. If by 2 1/2 inches and still show no orange belly it would be male. Though my guess on the one in the first 3 pics would be male.

Just because it gets bullied by the one above doesnt necessarily mean its female.

With Convicts, fin extensions are really an inaccurate way to sex them. Often times the female would have extensions just as long as the male.

Better off just waiting and checking for the orange on the belly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright thanks for the help but i've heard of females producing young at 1 inch in length and seen them with orange bellies at that age does a female always have to have an orange belly?

·
Registered
204 Posts
yes, they will always have an orange belly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay thanks have u bred convicts before? im just very eager for them to spawn and for that to happen i need a male and female and dont want to waste time on raising a "female" for it to turn out male u know..

·
Registered
204 Posts
yes i have, they were the first cichlids i started out with :lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey riceburner beautiful pics, mine has the exact same shape as the one on the bottom so im assuming now that it is a female. would u happen to have a picture of a male at around the same size u could post? thanks and when did your femae take on the orange belly characteristic??

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thanks. Keep looking for orange on the belly. Mine started showing around 1-1.5". Males would look the same without the orange flecks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
shine a flash light on them...you will see lots of colors, blue on fins and the orange on the belly if it is female......my males only have very little bluing on their fins......That is how I always determine sex even in LFS. Awsome how easy it works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts