Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was going to get a 20 long and get a pair of convicts and had a few questions if i get a male and female will they for sure breed eventualuy

and i was going to use the babies as feeders so i was going to get a seperate 20 gallon and was wondering can i leave the fry with the parents for a couple weeks so they are swimming and then remove the babies and put them in the other 20 gallon

i there any reason to take out the eggs once fertile

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
only thing i disagree with you on conoholic is the second one, it completely depends on your pair, sometimes the pair will eat the fry, usually young pairs do this, but the bigger problem is in 2 weeks convicts are ready to breed again, and the parents will kill off any that are from the previous batch to make room for the new batch, so if you notic3e that make sure you pull the fry out.

same thing goes with the eggs, sometimes young pairs will eat the eggs, irregardless of being fertilized.

chances are your plans will work out fine, just warning you of the possibilties

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
if i get a male and female will they for sure breed eventualuy
Yes, they will or should breed! But I find its always better to get 1 Male and at the very LEAST 2 Females. Why: Because it strengthens the bond between the pair and you will also have better results. And also because forced pairs are usually less effective and usually have MORE disputes than letting the Male choose.

I agree with gage it just depends on the pair!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Just a quick tip. You should read the sticky post at the top of this forum. It has a lot of beginner info on convicts. I think it might help with a lot of your questions and be a great base of knowledge. Good luck with all this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts