Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed some "wiggler" convicts and placed them in a 2 gallon tank with no gravel, using the original water they were hatched in. I added a heater set at the same temp they were hatched in with a bubble stone for aeration. When do I need to start feeding them, they were hatched 1 day ago, and what should I feed them? What, if anything do I need to do, other than feeding them?

·
Registered
532 Posts
What type of filtration do you have? I ask because hang-on-back filters can suck up the fry, that's why you need either a sponge filter or a prefilter sponge over the intake. If they're hatched, begin feeding them. My happy couple of cons just had little ones and I feed them Hikari first bites, and after that is all I plan on crushing up some flakes. Plus the parents chew food and spit it out right on top of them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now I using just an air pump and a bubble stone placed high in the water so it does not disturb them. I removed them from their parents because they had eaten their fry the last 2 times they had hatched them.

·
Registered
532 Posts
griffk said:
Right now I using just an air pump and a bubble stone placed high in the water so it does not disturb them. I removed them from their parents because they had eaten their fry the last 2 times they had hatched them.
I am just re-hashing the sound advice I was given here by a member, but IMO most likely you need a dither/target fish. If your convict couple can channel their anger and direct it to the same fish, they will form a strong bond, and be a tightly woven cohesive unit. If you only have the parents in the tank with the fry, more likely then not they will turn on eachother as they see eachother as a threat, and that's probably why the fry were eaten. That's why a target fish is so important.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Dither fish are good, the cons will get it right soon, don't worry :)

·
Banned
178 Posts
Feed them crushed flakes and frozen baby brine shrimp 2-3 times a day, I just got done raising baby convicts myself, they are fun until they pick each other off like mine did when they got big enough. I would make hiding spots in that tank so they can hide from each other.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Elijah said:
griffk said:
I am just re-hashing the sound advice I was given here by a member, but IMO most likely you need a dither/target fish. If your convict couple can channel their anger and direct it to the same fish, they will form a strong bond, and be a tightly woven cohesive unit. If you only have the parents in the tank with the fry, more likely then not they will turn on eachother as they see eachother as a threat, and that's probably why the fry were eaten. That's why a target fish is so important.
+1
:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts