Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male convict cichlid that is about 6.5 years old. Just over a week ago, I noticed a small white mark on his body near the left pectoral fin. It got larger until it was protruding from his body. This morning, I noticed another lump on his head on the same side. They don’t look fuzzy, and while his colouration seems a bit more patchy than usual, I don’t think its ich. I’m currently treating the water with Pimafix, and I’ve also added a bit of aquarium salt. It’s possible he injured himself on a decoration, which I removed today.
He also looks slightly bloated, and has seemed a bit unbalanced when swimming, sometimes his back. Could I get some help identifying what this is, and what should I do to treat it? Thanks.
Nose Human body Eyelash Iris Art

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
Sorry your Convict cichlid is not doing so well.
I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with him. It is possible he has a case of Lymphocystis virus, which starts out with smaller-sized white dots like your Convict has, then gradually grow enlarged until they have a puffy, kind of cauliflower look to them.

Vertebrate Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology

Mayaheros urophthalmus, Mayan Cichlid with Lymphocystis virus.

Hopefully, your Convict doesn't have this disease, as it is untreatable. But, from what I have read about it, Lymphcystis is not contagious, and is not an 'unsurvivable' condition for your fish to have.

Lymphocystis - Wikipedia

So, unless someone on the site has a different diagnosis of this problem affecting your fish, I believe you are doing the right thing in treating what you have with the Pimafix to control bacterial infection and also using the salt to prevent an opportunistic fungus from going after the outbreak sites. Plus, I would definitely up the frequency and percentage of water changes to reduce the measured Nitrates in the water of your aquarium. Reducing stress in fish affected by Lymphocystis, is reported to be the biggest help you can provide them in self-controlling the virus.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry your Convict cichlid is not doing so well.
I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with him. It is possible he has a case of Lymphocystis virus, which starts out with smaller-sized white dots like your Convict has, then gradually grow enlarged until they have a puffy, kind of cauliflower look to them.

View attachment 139739

Mayaheros urophthalmus, Mayan Cichlid with Lymphocystis virus.

Hopefully, your Convict doesn't have this disease, as it is untreatable. But, from what I have read about it, Lymphcystis is not contagious, and is not an 'unsurvivable' condition for your fish to have.

Lymphocystis - Wikipedia

So, unless someone on the site has a different diagnosis of this problem affecting your fish, I believe you are doing the right thing in treating what you have with the Pimafix to control bacterial infection and also using the salt to prevent an opportunistic fungus from going after the outbreak sites. Plus, I would definitely up the frequency and percentage of water changes to reduce the measured Nitrates in the water of your aquarium. Reducing stress in fish affected by Lymphocystis, is reported to be the biggest help you can provide them in self-controlling the virus.
I'm hoping its not lymphocystis, I've read a bit about it, and I've heard it can go away after a while, and isn't usually fatal thankfully. I read lymphocystis is transmitted by skin to skin contact with an infected fish, and I did recently buy a new fish, they've been kept in separate tanks, although I've used the same siphon and net for both tanks, so I'm not sure if that fish is the source of whatever this is. Anyway, thanks for your advice, and I'll keep an eye on him to see if the lumps grow any more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts