Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I read ab duck lips and it was just like that until his lip fell of. Now he eats but he looks terrible. Does anyone know if he will get better?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Make sure the temp is on the low end around 75-76 and treat with marcyn and marcyn 2. This was from some quick googling, I've never dealt with the disease.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
If he can eat there is a chance. I am not familiar with convicts. Is the white fuzzy? I know with Africans they get white lips from fighting with other fish. Is anyone picking on him?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He has no heater for now. I know he was fighting with my green terror one day. I put some metronidazol in his food this morning. I hope the white stuff will not fall off. He looks terrible.his body and fins are ok.i will see how he is tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Why metronidazole?

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I have been Googling as well and it appears duck lips may be columnaris? Columnaris is a gram negative AEROBIC bacteria. Can anyone else confirm?

If that part is true, Columnaris must be treated by a gram negative antibiotic for AEROBIC bacteria.

Metro and maracyin 1&2 are for anaerobic bacteria and may not work, despite being gram negative.

Sera does not provide much information about omnipur or bactopur but both are listed as a cure for columnaris. No info about whether either are gram negative or positive or whether they are for aerobic or anaerobic bacteria. I would try to contact the manufacturer and ask which they recommend and why. I usually get a response when I contact manufacturers for information like this.

Here is a link to an article, I cannot confirm whether the information provided is accurate.
https://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnar ... -1689.html

I personally had a fish with columnaris that was a secondary infection on a fish that was recovering from a severe beating. I tried the 2 Maracyns, and the triple sulfa. The fish got better with each round of meds, but the columnaris always came back and I was unable to save the fish. Others have succeeded with kanamycin, so don't give up.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Found this
Sera Baktopur
Ingredients: acriflavine, methylene blue, phenylglycol, aqua purificata ad
Diseases: septicemia, dropsy, fungus, columnaris, fin rot, mouth rot
Comments: It is best to use it only in the quarantine tank as it can harm the beneficial bacteria. This can be ineffective once the fish has reach the final stages of dropsy or if the scales are already pineconing or protruding.

Acriflavine is mentioned in the article. I would try this unless you find more or better information.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Also check out the ideas in the article about salt and hydrogen peroxide, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bad news. My fish does not want to eat. It's been 2 days. He is in treatment for 7 days now. His lips arent that big no more but still has white stuff above the mouth. The priblem is that i think he now has dropsy. He has a big fat belly and white poop. I am very sad. I dont know what else to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
You could try an epsom salt dip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very informative video. Thank you. I will put directly into the tank bcz i dont want to stress him even more with baths. Today he ate half a pea. No problem with constipation. He has 2 holes above his lip. Can a fish with missing flesh survive? I have treated him for almost 10 days and it is to much. The treatment had to be for 7 days so i changed 30% of his watter today with fresh watter.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
A quick dip may be much stronger than what is safe in a tank for hours or days, just a caution.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts