Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi GUys,

Quick question, i brought 2 convict that im 95% sure male and female, male is around 3 inches female more around 2 but showing good colours with the orange bellie and yellowish ting to the fins, currently in a holding tank but will be moving to their new tank which is just going to have them in it,

As for substrate its gravel but what decor do you think i should have to prompt spawning?

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any flat rock or a piece of PVC pipe they can get in will do. If he can the male might just dig through the gravel to the bottom of the tank. You may not need to prompt them. They will probably spawn regardless of what you do.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Mine akways choose the cichlid stone in my tank

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you all for your help!

Turns out they will spawn on anything but i may of f*ck*d up here :(

So heres the deal, i have a tank in the shed where i keep some giant danio fry its around 3ft by 1ft, i brought a second tank to also go in the shed and i thought i would buy 2 convicts at the same time.

So what i did was put a seperator into the fry tank to house the convicts for 2-3 days whist i set up the new tank for them.

Today came and moved them into a new tank with what you all surgested. Went to clear out the waste before pulling out the sperator and found around 50 eggs.

I dont want to cause the fish any stress my trying to re-catch them but would like to know the folloiwng questions.

How many days untill a possible hatch of the eggs?
What colour should the eggs be? Currently a light brown, belive they were layed today.

Im not expecting them to be fertile eggs as they look pretty stressed since bringing them home, but i think this might be a good time to see if they may be a fertile male and femal.

Thanks all, feel free to mock me! :D

·
Registered
977 Posts
+1 ...at first I wanted to save fry....

....after having a few spawns to worry about.... I now let the big fish have them for snacks....and a few still make it to adulthood.

Marsha...then to now.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just to let you know,

i kept that partion in the fry tank to see if they hatch which will give me an idea if the parents are fertile.

Today they have hatched, look farward to convict babies in the future, thank you all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts