Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased 4 convicts at about an inch from my LFS in hope to get a breeding pair. (1 very dark and the others fairly neutral) They are in a 65 gal with a JD (4") and GT (3"). There are plenty of rock hiding places with slate mixed in, and a small pot on its side for them. I've seen stories where people have gotten them to breed at 1". It's been about 2 months now, and I haven't noticed any orange patches or any signs of breeding. They are close to 2" now (growing like weeds). They follow each other around and nip at each other, but is it my luck that I could have gotten 4 males? There are differences in the dorsal fins, but no sure sign of an orange belly.

Should I introduce a few more to be safe? Or how long do I wait before starting over? I can only get them as babies at my LFS, and I would think they would all have to be roughly the same size to breed. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think by chasing eachother and fighting, they are testing eachother; to see if they are capable of defending a potential nest. The ones who hide all the time and seem to be beaten up, are the subordinate ones, and you should return them to the LFS after you achieve a pair.

Convicts are pretty rare in my locale, I had to drive a few miles out of my way to nab some. To get them breeding, I did an unwise thing and just introduced a female to an established tank with my male. Nevertheless, they seem quite happy and have bonded by fighting off my algae eater. I bought my male convict from Petsmart and my female from a different supplier, so as to strengthen the genetic line and cut down on inbreeding. My male is just a hair over an inch, and my female is slightly smaller.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts