Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across this Vid on youtube. Does this con have a shape of blood parrot or are my eyes playing tricks on me? Do this hybrid happen very often?

I hope its not a hybrid con......thats just not right and kinda creepy looking....

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Does look like a short bodied convict ... though there are fake parrot x convict crosses out there, here they are sold as 'jellybean convicts.'

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
ya, this is must a short body convict, it is pure, i believe it is a mutant gene that causes this to happen in a lot of different cichlids, probably caused by inbreeding them.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
dwarfpike said:
Does look like a short bodied convict ... though there are fake parrot x convict crosses out there, here they are sold as 'jellybean convicts.'
Don't think it's a jellybean. Jellybeans are also dyed. (As if being a hybrid wasn't enough...)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So does this mutant gene happen in all cichlids or mainly in cons because they are such prolific breeders and inbreeding happens more frequently?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
i think she means not all jelly beans are dyed, which no, they arent always.

SK is right, *** seen this in quite a few sp. Jack Dempsey's, Jaguars, Green Terrors, Carpintis, Cyanoguttatus, Convicts, Jewels, just to name a few.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Yep, I meant no, jellybeans aren't always dyed. I actually see them around undyed more than dyed. Take a peek in the ID folder on this forum.

It also occurs in African species, so it's not even restricted to just the American group.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
i think the undyed ones are from people breeding themselves and giving to LFS...

ya, like i said, *** seen a SB jewel on this site to, im pretty sure it can happen to all fish, but cichlids are easier to breed so it gives them the higher risk of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
within the comments it is said what is going on with this convict

sad.....

"That convict is one that has been cut. It is a procedure done when young the tail is cut of with scissors to give it that look"

I just don't understand some practices

·
Registered
32 Posts
A1A.Cuties said:
within the comments it is said what is going on with this convict

sad.....

"That convict is one that has been cut. It is a procedure done when young the tail is cut of with scissors to give it that look"

I just don't understand some practices
:eek:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
no, in this case it was not cut off, otherwise thee would be no tail, an example of the whole cutting off tail BS is called a Heart or Love Parrot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts