Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can sit in front of my aquarium for literally hours just watching the shenanigans that take place between my convict and CAE. Every time they are in proximity to eachother, they give eachother cold stares that can last for up to a minute. My con then nudges himself forward then backward, expecting the algae eater to retreat. But when my algae eater calls his bluff and charges, the con swims away.

Now if the CAE goes near his flowerpot, my con always chases him away. Keep in mind that my con is still probably under 1", even though in the month I had him it seems like he's growing like a weed.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few minutes ago, my CAE chased my con every time he was near the lower level of the aquarium. My convict was hanging by the thermometer in the corner he was so scared of that little algae eater!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'd keep an eye on the CAE. They only eat algae at a very young age and when they get older they suck slime coat off other fish. I had one latch on and almost kill a much larger firemouth. The CAE sucked on the side of the FM and pinned him down to the substrait. This was a very aggressive FM who killed a larger salvini I had. I feed that CAE to a large oscar. CAE get to be 7''+ so they get bigger then cons.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea every CAE I had over the years harassed all of my fish. I have really grown to dislike them, that's why I housed it with a breeding pair of convicts. A few years ago, I had a Dempsey that swallowed the CAE whole! I think when an LFS sells them, they need to put disclaimers on the tags, at the very least.

So far, my male convict, who is the biggest fish in the tank, has targeted my CAE, every time he's in his field of vision, my male con violently chases him. The smaller female chases him too, to some degree. Although sometimes the CAE stands his grown against the smaller female, but he's deathly scared of the bigger male con. I hope my cons take care of business and put him away soon!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Couldn't you just take him to the LFS?

Ps good to see you got a FM for the 20 long - hopefully you got a male, they can be SUPER colorful!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chubbs the Jellybean said:
Couldn't you just take him to the LFS?
Well I guess I could, although CAEs are very, very fast (pain in the you know what, to catch!). Plus I don't really feel right about loading it on an unsuspecting fish keeper. My convicts need to be pressured to protect their fry, and my zebra danios don't exactly fit that bill!

Ps good to see you got a FM for the 20 long - hopefully you got a male, they can be SUPER colorful!!
Thanks. I think it's a male, as he's really colorful! I'll try to get a pic up as soon as he's active.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.