Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am only new to this website and also new to cichlids. The other day i bought 3 small convicts.
There is 1 that is a bit bigger than the others and he bully's them and chases them behind the heater were they live, it also ate the smallest ones tail off.
I dont know what to do so some help would be appreciated
thanks

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Give plenty of sight breaks,places to hide ,plants , anything they have to swim around. If you give them this they can easily escape danger, and possibly claim a territory for themselves. I would get some melafix for the wounded ones and treat accordingly. Good luck. Oh and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried but still no luck the biggest hunts for the one with the tail and leaves the one with no tail alone.The one with no tail is very dark coloration but the other two are very pale with tint of orange on their belly's which means females are fighting. :eek:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Try adding dithers (fish for distraction) . Fast swimming fish like danios something you don't mind losing and cheap. Till then I would try to divide the tank as best as possible, or remove the aggressor.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok but i think the problem is the tank is to small but i am moving them to the 20gal that i asked you about earlier ,the tank now can only fit a plastic small pot and a few plants

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You gonna need a larger tank. I forgot to ask the size of the tank. You hit the nail on the head with the tank size.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i only have one tropical aquarium running at the minute ,so i cant move the aggressor from the tank. The only thing i could do is return it to the lfs .But i should have a bigger tank ready soon so that might fix it if they have more space.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think thats what i might have to do, i have the bigger tank at my house but it we are finding a place to sit it ,but i might return them anyway

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you only have one tank do not get more then one convict. If they are both males they will fight constantly in a 20g and one will die. If you get a pair you will have hundreds of babies and nowhere to put them. Even two females would be hard to make work if it is not at least a 20g Long. If you are limited to 20g tank and want more then one fish you should find more suitable cichlids.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
more suitable fish, like what types of species :-?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
For a 20g I would look at the dwarf South Americans or some of the rift lake species from Africa.

Here is the Cookie cutter list from the library section for a 20g LONG. If it is a standard 20g and not the long variety you will have less floor space still, and more is better with cichlids.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c ... er_20g.php

I would recommend looking at the 10g set ups below and going with something along those lines.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c ... er_10g.php

a standard 20g tank is limited when it comes to cichlids. A single cichlid could make a fun "wet pet" if it is out going and owner responsive. Convicts are great for this in my opinion and I have had many eat right out of my hand after getting to know me. If you go that route you could keep the more boisterous Con you already have. If you want more then one fish, as most beginners do, the shell dwellers (I have multies, not much to look at they are busy bodies and colony fish so you will have many generations living together and lots of activity) or SA dwarfs are your best bet. A single Angel fish might work. The taller tank is more suited for them and you could try some smaller catfish as well, but I have no experience with these and this is just theory.

29g or 40g breeder tanks are great for smaller communities and give you more options. But if you can go with a 55g you won't be disappointed. Most long term cichlid keepers eventually consider these small tanks.

Good luck and remember to start slow, it sucks having fish die or re homing them once your attached because of space or aggression issues.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah its a bit small got a bigger one for them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
moved them to a 40gal today and they don't attack each other. But its the female chasing the male around?
I have them with some peacock cichlids. They get along fine until they go in each others territory's :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts