Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi right first off im sorry if this has already been covered but i couldn't find a thread discussing it.
*** been keeping cichlids for a few years but not really ventured into the CA side of things so please forgive my ignorance if *** missed something.

about a week ago i got my 20G tank cleaned up and put a pair of juvenile Honduran Red Point Convicts in there along with a few caves and a load of Vallis from my 55G SA tank.

after a few hours i noticed that the male was expressing a fair amount of aggression towards the female so i added another rock to form another cave and 5 Glowlight Tetras from the 55G tank in the hope that the added hiding places was break up the lines of sight and the Tetras would act as target fish.

now the female although not showing any physical signs of distress, (ie split fins, washed out colour or not eating) but is spending sometime hiding in the corner of the tank.

should i worry about this and maybe move the male into the 55G or just leave them to it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Will, I have a breeding pair of convicts and the courting process was a little rough, I was about a day from removing my female before they finally paired up. Also forced pairs like this don't always work, I am sure you have heard this before but you are way better off getting 4 or 5 fish together and allow a pair to form then remove the others.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi BPman thanks or your reply.

yeah i know i should have got a few more but as the only free tank i had was the 20G and i think it would have been a little crowded.

i already have 4 angels, 6 keyholes, a little bristlenose and a Botia Striata in the 55G so i wouldnt have room to move the redundant female convicts into there when id need to either.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Very cool, will I am a big fan of keyholes, pictures don't do them justice. I would say give them a week, but check the female as much as possible for fin separation and other injuries convicts can be nasty. If she starts to show some of those signs a tanks divider may help for a couple weeks, she can get her strength up and recover then she may be a bit more receptive to his advances.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm i hadnt thought about a tank divider, that might be worth a try..

like i say she isnt being chased and bothered all the time and sometimes she even chases him though very rarely.

i'll keep an eye on them and if needs be i'll put the male in the 6" cube breeding trap *** got, i think that will make a pretty good fishy sin bin!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts