Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of fishing out fry from the overflow of my 180 gallon tank. I removed all the Malawi females but have a Cyprichromis leptosoma (Utinta) which I think is a female (long story).

Now I have 2 red peacocks, 1 yellow lab, 1 Placidochromis phenochilus Tanzania and the cyp left in the tank. The lab often hides and frequently is chased by the cyp. The peacocks chase each other and the pheno does his own thing. I need more than five fish for this 180 gallon tank but not sure of a good combination. I'm not too happy with the behavior of fish that either hide or chase.

Do I need to remove a peacock? I thought that removing the females would have eased their aggression towards each other but it actually seems to have increased it since they no longer chase the females.

What other fish should I add? I've been trying to stick with omnivores or peaceful carnivores.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Add 4 yellow labs (sex not important)
Add 5 p. Acei (sex not important)
Since I want to avoid fry in the tank overflows--I plan to have only males. I kept the only lab that I was sure was a male. I would love to add more male labs if they'll get along and not hide so much. Big problem is to find labs I can be sure are males.

The two red peacocks have calmed down some. Instead of chasing, the larger one now will display and thats enough to get the other one to swim away. They are both beautiful fish so I'd like to keep both if possible but am willing to sell one if things get rough.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't have much of a fry problem until I moved the fish into a tank with overflows. I am convinced the moms were spitting into them. I once pulled out over 20 fry.

Do you think that synodontis will exchange eggs with the moms? Then, will I get synodontis fry?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.