Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just took down a running salt water aquarium, been on the salt water side of the hobby for 10+ years, and this tank was only up and running a few months, before I decided to change it now to a FW Cichlid.

It's a drilled 65G corner over flow with 25G sump. I'm running a Herbie style plumbing, which means theirs no bubbles in the sump, and it's a full siphon, which makes it dead silent.

I plan on keeping the sump , ATO, Return pump and socks.

I filled the tank tonight with regular water and 1/2 gallon of vinegar , to clean to system for the next 2 days.

Then I plan on draining everything, cleaning again, filling with regualr water and run it for 24 hours, then drain, clean and dry for 48 hours before the final fill and cycle starts.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Also what would be ideal to add in the sump for filtration? The sump is acrylic and has dual drain pipes that go into 2 socks , then flows into the middle chamber where I had my skimmer, what would be good place here for biological ?

Next chamber is a refugium, then final chamber is the return pump.

Few Questions :

No more need for the RO-DI unit I'm reading for FW ?

What would be best media cost effictive for the sump?

I need to keep the ATO and ATO Container going, since I'm running a herbie style plumbing, do I need to treat the ATO container to with Dechlorinater ?

Any other suggestions?

I'm going to start another thread on a stocking list :)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
You don't need the RO-DI unit for FW. Just use whatever comes from your tap with dechlorinator. Most cichlids, especially ones that aren't wild caught, are not going to be too fussed about pH and gH.

The cheapest option for biological media is pot scrubbers you get from the dollar store. There are other options that may be more effective but they'll also be more expensive.

I'll let others comment on the ATO. I have bean animal style plumbing on my sump system and don't need an ATO. Not sure why it would be necessary. You'll want lids on your main tank. That will greatly reduce evaporation.

For mechanical filtration the socks can be high maintenance, depending on how heavily your tank is stocked. I use poret foam cut to fit into the first chamber. It just needs a rinse every month or two.

Since I set up a sump on my tank I can't imagine going back to canisters or any other kind of filtration system. Yours looks like a great set-up!

Welcome back to FW. I look forward to seeing your tank set-up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think your wash/rinse/fill plan sounds good. I'm also running a system that was salt and is now cichlid, I'm cycling now and haven't stocked yet. I did something similar to clear out salt residue and any residual bio matter. I'm using ceramic rings for my sump media, and a Herbie overflow. I have socks because that's what the system came with, but I may try poret foam, as I just spent an hour washing aragonite dust out of my sock this afternoon!
I would do the ATO with dechlorinated tap water, as you suggest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts