Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that Hydrogen Peroxide in small doses will help control algae problems in the tank. In that past I have had real bad problems with the use of your normal algae control product bought at LFS. Even when using smaller doses then directed. Has anyone used Peroxide, and if so what is a good ratio to follow? Thanks for help in advance...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have not, but wouldn't try it either. Also, commerical "algacide" products are **** and dangerous for fish--as you have prob experienced.

I think one of the best thing to do is to start from scratch, with everything cleaned, completely. Then invest in a UV sterilizer to kill free floating algae.

Too much light, high phosphates or nitrates could be your problem--or all of the above.

A product that reduces phosphates can help, and using commercial buffers can hurt, as they are almost always high in phosphates. Consider a phosphate test kit, to test your tank and tap.

Only turn tank lights on when you are around. Fish do not need lights. People need lights.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't think the peroxide was the way to go either. I have pretty much left the lights off to a minimum for the last month or so, but it always seems to come back. I guess I will have to get online for some test kits. I haven't really found any besides the normal master test kits...

Thanks for the insight...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I did a little experiment with peroxide on some algae I had growing on hornwort, it killed the algae and the plant, but the fish were alright, as well as the other plants. I did the little spot treatment, using a syringe I squirted some on the algae, it bubbled and the nest day you could see the algae had died off, but the next day the leaves were floating around, a day later the plant was ruined. Luckilly I kept some clippings just in case that happened.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The peroxide method is not meant to be used on algae growing on plants, just on hardscapes, and the tank glass. In all honesty, just like adjusting the lights, it will come back. The best thing is, rather than finding a quick fix such as this, find the root of the problem and and solve it at its source. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.