Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a store bought canister for CO2 for my planted fish and plant aquarium. I am petrified to wake up one morning and find my my Fronts dead from too much CO2 or a drastic reduction in ph levels. The setup is basic: A canister with DIY mixture an air hose to a control valve to another hose to the CO2 ladder in the aquarium.

I was wondering if there is a way to control the flow of CO2 when the lights are out. Basically, how do I stop the CO2 flow at night and start it in the morning? Or is this even possible?

·
Registered
656 Posts
You would use an electronic solenoid valve and a timer. I'm not sure if anyone makes a pre-made system for this, but if you build one yourself, make sure the solenoid is set up so powered is open, and not powered is closed, This way if the electricity goes out, the CO2 shuts off automatically.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
mcontri
A drop in pH can't and wont harm your frontosa and I am also missing how the co2 will kill the fish. Is your tank not well circulated? Perhaps what is best for your fish is for an airstone on a timer to come on at night.

·
Registered
299 Posts
whoaaaaa....too much co2 = not enough oxygen = dead fish. I have my regulator on a timer set to go on 1 hour before lights go on, and set to go off 1 hour before lights go off. I also have a bubble counter on my set up along with an electronic solenoid valve.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
londonloco exactly right about the co2 > O2 = dead fish. chemistry proves that, its like putting a home from your muffler to the inside of your car, even with the window down a little the co2 still overwhelms the lack of oxygen.

I do have an air pump but it runs during the day. Maybe I should have it instead turn on when the lights turn off for the night and off when the lights turn on, that way the co2 and oxygen will compensate for each other. My whole co2 system is all natural reactions from yeast sugar and baking soda so I wouldn't know the first thing about configuring an electronic solenoid and regulator to something that is not a continuous flow of co2 since the flow is relatively low.

Also the co2 bubbles are getting stuck on the ladder, would it be better to get an air stone or one of those co2 diffuser bars or something?

·
Registered
656 Posts
sorry, I misunderstood your first post. when you said "store bought canister",I thought you meant pressurized bottle(like for a paintball gun or soda fountain)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shellies215 LOL I wish I was able to afford that right now, budget limitations prevent me from that. That would be very nice tho to have. as I wouldn't have the issues with the smell of the yeast solution and wouldn't have gotten the by-product inmy eye last night,

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
londonloco, CO2 and O2 are not mutually exclusive. You can (and IMHO, should) have high levels of both CO2 and O2 in a healthy planted tank.

mcontri
carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide operate inside our bodies so differently that the 2 are NOT equatable. Running DIY CO2 and an airstone during the day probably manages to gas off 100% of the DIY Co2 your little hagen ladder puts off into the water. If the bubbles are getting "stuck", then your ladder is dirty.

If I were you, I would get a check valve for the airline and put that thing on a timer to run at night... the end result will be a much more normal arrangement to grow your water weeds. :thumb:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Number6 the ladder is brand new I dont know how it oculd be dirty. So there are check values that are electric?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I'm referring to a purely mechanical check valve. Put the air pump on a timer...

The ladder either still has manufacturing residue on it or has new growth... the other possibility is that the ladder isn't perfectly level... the bubbles need to roll up the zig zag...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Number6 ok so the air pump will pump the air at night right? I can do that it is on a timer right now anyway but during the day, I can just reverse that. Would a co2 diffuser be better then the ladder?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Yes, at night... I like the air pumps as they clear the co2 out of tank and hood more than say a powerhead can.

the ladder is a diffuser. Just one style out of many... You could replace it, but I wouldn't. I'd try and figure out why the bubbles aren't gliding...

·
Registered
534 Posts
How big is the tank w/the hagen ladder? That thing is pretty much useless in anything bigger than a 5g. Bubbles just float to the top and burst. You'd be better off running the CO2 line into an HOB intake to diffuse the bubbles. And if you're worried about the CO2 levels getting to high, put the HOB on a timer with the lights.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
car0linab0y Great now someone tells me the ladder is useless LOL, the LFS guy told me it would be ok to use in my 45g with a built in overflow. And the bubbles are now going the full length of the ladder.

I did but some stones yesterday and a fine bubble stone, I think having an HOB with an aquarium with a built-in overflow is useless plus I can't use one of those I have no place to hang one on the tank. Would the fine bubble stone work better then the ladder?

·
Registered
534 Posts
mcontri said:
car0linab0y Great now someone tells me the ladder is useless LOL, the LFS guy told me it would be ok to use in my 45g with a built in overflow. And the bubbles are now going the full length of the ladder.

I did but some stones yesterday and a fine bubble stone, I think having an HOB with an aquarium with a built-in overflow is useless plus I can't use one of those I have no place to hang one on the tank. Would the fine bubble stone work better then the ladder?
it would... but I doubt that setup would ever build enough pressure to force bubbles through. I tried that thing when I first started a planted tank. Ended up selling it. Now using three DIY jugs w/yeast & sugar. You should try Seachem Excel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
car0linab0y Ok so what you are saying is to get some 2L soda bottles and create the yeast and sugar mixture, with the added jugs more co2 will be provided and work with the fine bubbler? How would I combined all of the co2 lines into the output?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
the ladder diffuser works very well. Not sure why carolinaboy says it does not...
Carolinaboy, did you use the drop in pH to measure your CO2 levels? other? If your only "evidence" was the bubble reaching the surface of your aquarium then I will simply say that that isn't evidence at all and the hagen ladder needs to be given credit where credit is due. It isn't my fave diffuser and I wouldn't buy one, but neither will I throw the one away that I did buy in order to write up a review for my local fish club back in the day...

mcontri, the hagen canister is essentially a juice bottle... you could daisy chain it to an actual juice bottle just by putting one in series. You can also put in a safety measure by using another juice bottle but only having water in it... if any yeast mix splurts up and into the tub, the last juice container filled with water catches the splurts rather than letting the yeast mix into the tank.
I hope that helps.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
mcontri said:
How much co2 is too much for a 45g with a built-in overflow?
with a built in overflow, I actually wonder what ppm your CO2 actually manages to get up to with DIY Co2. Are you using the pH test to measure your CO2 level?
If you have no idea what I'm talking about then read this: http://www.theplantedtankfaq.com/CO2_FAQ.html

Rex is a good guy... wired for maximum grouchiness :lol: but knows his stuff like the back of his hand. :thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts