Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently set up a 20GL and now that it has finished cycleing I have began to stock it.
I bout a pair of Birchardis and one N. Brevis. I plan on getting a mate for the brevis.
Crushed coral has been used as the substrate so it is basically white. I have dark, almost black slate rock. I have not chosen a backgrou d yet because I need help choosing the last fish I am going to get. Since the brevis and Birchardis both have lighter colors and more of a light pinkish color. I want to get something that either has a lot of color or something that is very dark to contrast with the rest of the tank. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Brichardi will try, and often succeed, to kill every other fish in the tank when they spawn. So I would remove the brevis and make it a species tank for the brichardi.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Contrast? Hmmm,.....

How about some calvus black congo white pearl fry?
I know somebody with a boatload of them :roll:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I bout a pair of Birchardis
I'll echo what DJ said. If by pair you mean m/f that are going to spawn, then at best the life of the brevis pair will be very unpleasant and you'd never see them out of their shells, at worst they'll be dead. If the brichardi pair are same sex, then this could work out fine. I'd wait to see what you have before adding anything more. Another idea is to return the brichardi and go for the calvus. Nice fish :thumb: I love alto's.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Brevis and altos work very well with each other....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would the calvus not be to big for a 20 gallon? If not I would love a calvus. Also would it get along with a brevis or would I need to get rid of him as well?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Chekboy2 said:
Would the calvus not be to big for a 20 gallon? If not I would love a calvus. Also would it get along with a brevis or would I need to get rid of him as well?
Calvus will do fine with brevis.

I think a trio of calvus in a 20 would be OK.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I was to keep the two birchardi do you think I would be able to keep a small synodontis cat with them or are they going to be to much trouble for one?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I was to keep the two birchardi do you think I would be able to keep a small synodontis cat with them or are they going to be to much trouble for one?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Razzo said:

HI, sorry for barging in, what kind of Alto. is that ? Very nice :popcorn:
:fish:

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
If you get two male or two female brichardi, the syno might be safe. If you get a pair and they spawn, probably not.

Note that synodontis lucipinnis (the small syno) like to be in groups of 5-6 and with one he may hide all the time.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
kiriyama said:
Razzo said:

HI, sorry for barging in, what kind of Alto. is that ? Very nice :popcorn:
:fish:
Thanks, here is a wild A. comp. Chaitika orange fin.

Russ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.