Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls.

I am reading quite some contradictory information about feeding frozen food to your fish... Some say that pellets are ok, some say that pellets should be avoided. Some say frozen food is great, some say it is only to be used as an "extra".

What is the deal with frozen food etc? My fish are crazy about it, but I do not want to kill them off by feeding them what they seem to like so much :)

All tips and hints are welcome!

(I have 4 tanks, 3 of them are Tanganyikan, with one Troph tank, and one of them is a SA tank with angels and neons...

Thx in advance!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The first thing you need to do is determine the dietary needs of your fish. Tropheus are strict herbivores, so there aren't many frozen foods that don't have too much protein for them.

Bloodworms are something that I wouldn't feed to very many of my fish, no matter what their dietary needs.

I am not a big fan of pellets, I just find flake an easier "transition" food for new fish that I buy and fish that I sell or give away to other people. I do use some pellet type foods for the fish I keep permanently. As long as you're using a good quality staple food, supplements may not be necessary.

I feed frozen brine and mysis shrimp to my brichardi, but they also get a quality flake as their main diet.

My SA dwarf (Bolivian rams) get bloodworms occasionally - but none of my other fish get them.

Kim

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
managing fresh/frozen feed responsibly (clean utensils, cutting tables, proper storage, washing hands after handling, anti bacterial cleaning sprays, removing uneaten portions from a tank, etc...), requires much more effort (and money), when compared to all the conveniences of dried pellets.
that said: i started using live and/or frozen foods for keeping species (eg. tiger datnoids, stingrays) that never care to accept any of the hobby's processed protein puck options. watching these fish continue to grow, beyond tanked expectations (my datnoids are nearing 20 inch TL), has impressed me enough to introduce it to many of my other wet pets. i now use fresh/frozen feeds while acclimating/receiving new w.c. stock, conditioning females and/or harems for spawn activities, and for general weight gain/growth goals of mature show fish.
for me, the only reason pellets remain a staple in my fish room, is their convenience. the side fact, that fasting is often required to acclimate live feed eaters over to pellet, is enough evidence for me to assume the fish have a preference. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts