Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always test my water twice a week and do water changes twice a week. Usually 50% WC. I've noticed that my ammonia and nitrites stay at 0 but my nitrates are always over 80ppm. When doing a change I test the water and they are down to about 40ppm. In a couple of days they are back to where they started. I only feed what my fish can eat in about 1min and feed once a day. Any suggestions?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,491 Posts
Do three water changes in the next three days to get to 10ppm. Then do 50% to 75% weekly to maintain between 10ppm and 20ppm. Feed what they can eat in 30 seconds.

5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Do three water changes in the next three days to get to 10ppm. Then do 50% to 75% weekly to maintain between 10ppm and 20ppm. Feed what they can eat in 30 seconds.

5
I just did a 50% change tonight already. The next two days how much should I change out? Not sure what is causing it to stay so high though.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,491 Posts
50% daily until you are at 10ppm.

As long as it is 50% less with every water change, the nitrate comes from fish waste and excess food.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Might also consider a bigger tank, fewer fish, some floating plants, or a sump that removes nitrates with an algae scrubber or mattenfilter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cyphro said:
Might also consider a bigger tank, fewer fish, some floating plants, or a sump that removes nitrates with an algae scrubber or mattenfilter.
Compared to what others post, I thought I was fairly understocked lol I do have some hortwort in there. Financially wise right now a bigger tank is not feasible right now. I did test my tap water and 0 nitrates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
What do you feed them? If you are feeding them something high protein/calories it might make more nitrates. You might try feeding them some blanched zucchini sometimes instead of flake food.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cyphro said:
What do you feed them? If you are feeding them something high protein/calories it might make more nitrates. You might try feeding them some blanched zucchini sometimes instead of flake food.
I feed NLS cichlid formula and tetra color tropical granules sometimes I feed them flakes. I'll mix it up sometimes and feed the floating pellets instead of the granules. I tried to just do NLS and some didn't eat it. Maybe it was too small for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Food like that is very dense and a little goes a long way. I'd try some veggies and maybe some spirulina flakes. Most of them are vegetarians in the wild. I also give koi pond food sometimes. It's cheap and it is mostly vegetable matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cyphro said:
Food like that is very dense and a little goes a long way. I'd try some veggies and maybe some spirulina flakes. Most of them are vegetarians in the wild. I also give koi pond food sometimes. It's cheap and it is mostly vegetable matter.
Thank you. I'll try that. I do only feed them small amounts. I tried to give them deshelled peas but they didn't like it.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top