Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now i'm running a 55 gallon which has been running just fine but i am considering going larger. I've been back and fourth with what to go with. I've considered going to a 90 gallon or a 110 gallon or even as large as a 125.

I am hearing from various sources that once you get into the 125 range it's a lot harder to stock the tank and keep it peaceful, is this true? The other reason i was considering sticking with the 90 or 110 is because i can use the same stand/canopy size and have it fit 75,90 or 110 size tanks. Gives me a lot of options.

Here is my current stock of fish.

2 Acei
2 Cherry Red Zebras
2 Cobalts
1 Sunburst Peacock
3 Yellow Labs
2 Yellow fin mbamas
1 red empress
1 taiwan reef
2 white labs
1 bristle nose pleco
1 catfish

I'm currently running the penguin filters but would consider moving over to a canister setup but am still unsure what to go to as the one i have been looking at is only good upto 100 gallons if i go larger than 100.

With my current stock (willing to add more with a larger tank) what do you guys think i should go to?

I have been debating this with myself for a few months now and keep changing my mind :(

Here is how my current tank looks.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Just the opposite assuming the 125 is a 6' tank.

A longer footprint provides additional areas (zones) for the different species to occupy.

Are all the fish in your 55 juvenile? Having that many different species in the same tank could spell trouble down the road as they mature..

From what I have read on here, a 4 ft tank ideally has 3 species (possibly 4 depending on what they are) with a 1M:4-5F ratio. Some of the really aggressive types (demasoni, elongatus sp;) require a higher female to male ratio.

Just an opinion of course & for what it is worth.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the opinion, most of them are anywhere from 2 to 3" long at the moment, some are smaller. It's an all male setup right now, i have no plans to add any females.. I've had the tank for about 7 months and at first the Dominant Cherry Red Zebra chased everything but now it has been fine.

The 125 would be the 6' foot tank

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
OHHH.. Ok .. Didn't realize you were doing an all male..

And I also failed to read that you would like to stay with a 4' tank because you can keep the stand & canopy.. Not neccesarily. A 75 is 18" deep (front to back) - same as a 90 (90 is taller). Those two would probably work but would have 3" of tank overhang on each side (f & b)

Honestly. Increasing the depth of the tank isn't going to give you much more capability as far as the number of males you keep. The only way to do that is increasing the tank's length.

If it were me. I would stay at 55 gallons unless I had the $$$ to commit to upgrading everything to a 6' footprint.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I find for my uses a 75 is better for the fish I keep. Rather than go larger I have gone to more tanks. They are far easier for me to find floor space for several 75 than longer larger tanks. It also gives me a more flexible use for different types and sizes. I find most of the recommendations for what fish and what size do not work out to be what I find in my tanks. Maybe my food has sedatives? If one wants some of the really large fish, they need the really large tanks but for all the African cichlids of "normal" size (mbuna,peacock,hap) I find no need for larger than 75. If you want to breed and raise any fish the 75 doubled will serve much better than a larger. I shudder to think of any medical treatment I might have to do in larger than 75. I catch too many fish too often to want larger. Unloading the rocks out of a 75 to catch the quick ones is bad enough.
I will freely admit that forum members have told me that my tanks will not work. But then they do. So I continue.

Hap ahli, Lab. "Hongi", cyrtocara moori

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
I will freely admit that forum members have told me that my tanks will not work. But then they do. So I continue.
+1 :thumb:

And I completely agree with you about the versatility of multiple 75's. Much better, provides significantly greater versatility, etc than one, 125+ gallon tank. If given the choice, I would certainly take 2-75's over 1-150 any day of the week because I keep mbuna..

I think you would agree that upgrading from a 55 to a 75 alone isn't worth the effort assuming you are buying new. If buying used & getting a great deal, well - that is a different equation.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys thanks a lot, great advice i guess going to the 125 may be the answer I am looking for.. Not sure I want to run multiple tanks. I have one real nice display area that would fit a 125 perfectly, 55 is currenlty there now.

I am willing to put in about 1500 to 1800 into a new tank setup so i think i can easily get away with it on a 125.. My local place with custom wood stand,canopy and tank is about $1200. From that point I would need a new filtration system and heater along with probably crushed coral. I think i am going to get away from using the sand I have now, not as easy to clean..

What type of filter system would you guys recommend on a 125? I want to try and avoid anything that hangs down from the back wall like i currently have now and probably move to a canister. Also, will probably add one of those Jet Pumps.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Can't help you on a cannister as I run a wet/dry...

You may want to scan craigslist in your area. 125's are common.. may be able to cut your expenditure in 1/2. I have seen fully equipped 125's sale for 450.00. not often But they are there.

If buying new - I would seriously consider buying a "reef ready" drilled tank with built in overflows & add a wet-dry filter & sump. Your LFS would be able to size everything for you.

Very tidy & convenient with no components in the tank. Just a thought.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Cantrell00, i think that is probably what i am going to do if i am going to be spending the cash..

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
:thumb:

You will be glad that you did later on... Paint the back black to hide the overflows.

Sump filtration is the shiznit!

·
Registered
109 Posts
A 180 doesn't take much more room then a 125. IMO you should get a second hand 180 reef ready. I have one for over 10 years and happy with it. Good luck take you time.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
6" deeper right? 24 vs 18", I think..

That would certainly be true if you ever decided to add a 3d background. The additional 6 in would really come in handy...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts