Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject line says, I have found myself more and more captivated with Tropheus and I have been thinking about going from Mbuna to Tropheus in the next year or so. I have spent a lot of time researching on this site (have read all of the library pieces) and on others but I am looking for maybe some overlooked tips, tricks, advice, tank layouts, minimum filtrations, etc. that I would be better off knowing from the get go.

I would either buy a WC breeding group or 20 WC or F-1 juveniles.

It would be a species only tanks with one of the following (open to suggestions and species specific advice):
-Ikola
-Bemba
-Morliro Red
-Ilangi
-Cherry Spot
-Lufubu Purple Rainbow

They would go in a 75 (read this was an acceptable size for a single species) with a sump, Fluval 204, and ac110 (read they require much cleaner water parameters than Mbuna).

What else do I need to know?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Trophs love water that is saturated with O2. Make sure their is plenty of water turn over, at least 10x per hour. Also make sure there is plenty of water movement, a good strong current will help keep aggression down. Clean water! I change 50-75% weekly. Keep their water fresh and clean and you will have happy healthy trophs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track. You could probably do 25 in that 75gal with good filteration. A larger number of fish will help spread the agression. Keep the rocks to a min. The males try to claim their territory and will protect it which can cause additional agression. I have 3 left over 5gal buckets of rock from when i converted my 90 and 55 to tropheus tanks from mbuna.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
My entry into fishkeeping has been with tropheus. I did tons of reading too and was hesitant based on a lot of people saying they're not easy to keep and are not a good fish for a beginner. I decided to take the plunge due to the encouragement of another member on this forum and I'm really glad I did. They're great to watch and keep me very entertained. Four months in I haven't lost any of my 25 Muragos (knock on wood).

One thing I'd recommend you have on hand before you buy them is Metro. Tropheus are prone to bloat (apparently especially in the beginning when first introduced to a new tank). After that, provided you keep their routines consistent, a lot of people say they're not hard to keep.

I echo what others have said about keeping the water clean. Lately I've been changing close to 100% of the water on a weekly basis - split into a 30% water change midweek to remove visible waste (and keep the water temperature from climbing too high in the summer) and a 60-70% on weekends.

Starting with a large colony of F1 juveniles may also improve your chances of success.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it!

I will definitely hold off on trophs until I can move my tank to where my python will reach. Right now it's in the basement and I do 20% weekly which involves carrying 4, 5g buckets up stairs. If I'm going to be changing +50%, closer to 75%, it only makes long term sense to relocate the tank.

My tank turns over about 18 times and hour right now so I think I'm good with my filtration, I would love to cut out the rocks! They are a pain to clean around anyways. I'd really like a 3d rock background and like one decent sized rock on either side of the tank surrounded by some rubble.

As for F1, I don't mind going F1, but in my reading it seems that no one wants anything farther from the wild than F1, is that true? I don't have a problem with a high initial investment but I would like to know I can sell off some fry here and there to cover incidental costs (like food).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll echo what others have said -

tons of filtration
tons of flow
tons of fish
do you water changes religiously.
have metro on hand and ready before you get your fish

I'd get more fish than 20 to allow for deaths and to allow you to get the M/F ratio you want. For example - you buy 20 juvenile fish and you end up with 10 males and 10 females. You one want 2 or 3 males and the rest females so now you're down to 12 or 13 fish in the correct ratio. I'd get 30-35. I have 55 ilangi in my 90 with zero problems. I'll be able to offer someone a decent colony of 20/25 fish when I decide to move the group down to 30/35 fish.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
On Tuesday, at our club meeting, there was a presentation on keeping Tropheus, by buntbarsch, who posts here under the CARES threads. He has kept them for many years. His recommendation was to start with a group of juveniles and allow them to grow up together. A group of 12 to 15 would be ideal and a minimum. Rocks are important to have normal Tropheus activity. Keep the water clean, with regular weekly water changes of 40 to 50%.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Definitely go with a group of tank raised.
Starting off with a colony of juveniles is great and it will give you the feel on how to take care of T's.

·
Registered
50 Posts
BillD said:
On Tuesday, at our club meeting, there was a presentation on keeping Tropheus, by buntbarsch, who posts here under the CARES threads. He has kept them for many years. His recommendation was to start with a group of juveniles and allow them to grow up together. A group of 12 to 15 would be ideal and a minimum. Rocks are important to have normal Tropheus activity. Keep the water clean, with regular weekly water changes of 40 to 50%.
I would have loved to have been in on that meeting :thumb:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have only been keeping Tropheus for a few months now so can't really advise, I started with 20 juvenile F1 duboisi (Kigoma), at first I was doing very frequent small water changes but now I do about 50% once a week, I keep to the same 3 food types, spinach, nori seaweed (every 2nd or 3rd day) , a good quality spirulina flake...
Tank is kept simple, large rocks at either end of the tank and a smaller pile near the middle, good filtration and lots of swimming space, clean and simple. . . .
Cheers, Sean :fish:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I, too, would like to see fellow member's troph tanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts