Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks -- I used to post on here a bit, several years back when I was keeping Malawi cichlids (mostly mbuna, couple common Haps). I went reef for about 4 years and had a blast, but I just don't have time to properly keep a reef tank right now. I am considering turning the tank into a Tang community. My tank has somewhat uncommon dimensions, so I wanted to see what y'all thought about stocking:

- Oceanic Tech Series 45g cube: L 24.5 x W 18.5 x H 25 (love the shape and look of this tank, but admittedly, it's better suited for a small reef than African cichlids)
- Overflow is built in, with 15g sump, divided out into sump and 'fuge currently

So what do you guys think? I assume footprint too small for a 12 - 15 Tropheus colony, so I was thinking E. cyanostictus pair with some higher water column mates. Not sure what is out there though that would work with gobies.

I've never kept Tangs before, so I'm also considering just doing an mbuna species tank (like P. saulosi or Tropheops) or maybe even an S. casuarius species tank (which I've done before -- love these guys).

Anyway, any thoughts would be great, as I've been away from freshwater and cichlids for a while and am currently catching up on my reading. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
so I'm also considering just doing an mbuna species tank (like P. saulosi or Tropheops)
I have 2 female Tropheops sp. Red Fin in my 38g. (36"x12" footprint)

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... php?id=979

I used to have a male but he went back to the LFS because he was harassing the females to death. Perhaps another female may have spread things out a little, but I found them a lot of fish for my small footprint.

There are lots of threads around that suggest a small P. saulosi group would work well though.

kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts