Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought 8 juvenile Saulosi, and got NLS cichlid 1mm pelles for them.
Instruction says feed what they will eat in 1min, so I threw a small pinch for them.

Well the problem is that they floated for like 5min, they ate maybe 20% swimming to surface, and picking it off, rest as it was falling down , pellets kept sinking few at a time in a span of 5+ min.
Being new it's hard for me to gauge how not to overfeed them, as they just devoured everything :)
But how can I judge how much they can eat in 1min, and this stuff floats for 5+ min :)

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Mine does not float, try dropping it from a little higher. Also it is fine that the fish grab it at the surface...it should be gone in 1 minute. I actually do 30 seconds.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I drop my pellets into a tiny bottle cap which allows me to feed approx the same amount each time.
As mentioned, I then throw it in with a little force so most sink immediately. If that doesn't work for you, you can always drop in the pellets and run your fingers thorough them whilst in the water which will help them to sink.
I've found smaller fish are more reluctant to take off the surface. As they get bigger mine now just smash the surface which brings any floaters down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts