Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

*** posted on this topic before and i have read posts by other users but i still am not getting any results..

for the past few months i have been dealing with this issue of my fish (haps and peacocks) developing these arched bellies and i have lost many fish since..

currently i have 3 or 4 fish with this issue ranging from moderate to severe..

it all started back over the summer when i moved to a new apartment and transported my fish with me..

i have treated with the entire tank with Prazipro (Praziquantel) with no success
and i just treated the tank with Seachem Metronidazole according to the directions that came with it and i also soaked their food in it for at least ten days (as read in other posts)..

i have been doing weekly water changes and i condition the water with seachem Prime

now it has been at least 2 weeks since the Metronidazole treatment and *** seen no physical results (however the fish do seem a bit more active)..

does anyone have any other advice on this issue? or should i just give it more time for the fish to "fill out"?

im feeding NLS once a day.. should i increase the feedings?

i am running out of fish...

(by the way all parameters are fine)

thanks in advance, if i any other background info is needed please ask..

·
Registered
49 Posts
topher,

Hi.... well i guess your doing it right. usually metro will do the job.
maybe your fish got stressed after the move, thats why they got ill.

going back, if you see them became more active then its a good sign. try to increase your feeding maybe you are giving them too little food also watch your cichlids maybe some of them dont get the right amount of food due to other fish being more veracious eaters.

if you want you can also get 1 specimen from your tank and put him in a hospital tank and try to observe and medicate that fish. so it will be much more easier for you to know what med will work and if they are really sick or just pure malnutrition.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When you look at your fish from the top of the tank, does the body look much thinner than the head? Do they still look thin after you feed them? If so.... All fish have parasites and viruses naturaly. As long as the conditions they live in are fine, the fish are fine. The vius will lay dormant inside the fish. My guess is when you moved, the stress made the virus become active. If they have sunkin bellies and seem thin it's tuff to get rid of that disease. I would seperate the sick ones and put them in a hospital tank. The reason why is if one dies and a healthy fish nibbles on it then they become sick. You could seporate each sick one if you have enough ten gallon tanks and try different meds like DJ said to see which one works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you both for your input..

and yes, concerning one of the sick fish, when looking at the fish from the top it seems very thin but unfortunately i cannot set up a hospital tank for him at the moment..

would anyone suggest doing a second treatment with the Metronidazole? like i said its been a little over 2 weeks since i treated the tank...

i also have some clout on hand, i know it is a harsh medication but would anyone think it is worth a shot?

thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
i had the same thing . my jewel had sunken stomach and didnt eat for almost 2 months ... i hoped and hoped hed come out of it but i couldnt find any clout. i finally bought some METRO+ by hikari and dosed the tank sat. by sunday night he was swiming around and eating with the rest of them. i dosed again today and hes chasing the others around now too im hoping thats a good sign. i dosed the entire tank just to be safe and also one feeding was dosed each time i dosed the tanks so far im impressed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.