Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cons just had fry, they are hidden and well protected right now. i have several other cichlids in the tank with them and my tank has an over set up and i dont want them to swim up and sucked in, which happens alot to my feeder guppies. should i move the fry to another tank? if so, when? how? this is my first group of fry. any help would be great. thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
100 gal. w/ 20 gal. sump. i would like to raise them, possibly use as feeders unsure right now. how would i siphon them out? how long should i wait? parents too?

stock list:
4 cons 2m/2f
2 jd
2 ventusus
2 mixed africans
1 albino oscar
1 firemouth
1 pike cichild
1 african knife fish
1 peacock cichlid
1 clown loach
1 green eel

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
What kind of pike do you have? The only reason I ask is because eventually that pike will make short work of your female cons....

how would i siphon them out?
Use a short length of hose into a bucket.... When you approach the parents and fry with the end of the hose they'll ball the fry up to protect them... then take your thumb off the end of the hose :thumb:

how long should i wait?
Personally I'd conduct an experiment to see how long the fry last in the tank the first couple of times around. Then use that as the judge to when to siphon them out. Every time my cons spawn in the 800 they last about four days after they're free swimming. There's just too many predators in the tank. BUT I keep a lot of convicts in there for just that reason. It gives the predators some natural prey and an opportunity to hunt. I think it's healthy for them.

parents too?
This is entirely up to you. do you want a constant supply of feeders, or do you want to just let it go naturally in the main tank? Completely your choice 8)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Don't the parent fish eat the young to make way for a new batch?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.