Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they are both rock dwellers, but would any particular type of Julie possibly be compatible
with 2 Alto. Comps in a 20L.......assuming the tank has separate rock piles on either end?
I don't think the Comps would cause trouble, just not sure about the Julies. Thanks....Tom

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to clarify the above, I'm looking more for a community tank here than a breeding tank.
maybe stock with 2 juvies of each species, sexes unknown, and hope for the best. I know the suggestion will be to do Shellies with either Comps or Julies, but I'd like to try this if the masses approve. Thanks...Tom

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The smaller juli's should be fine, like ornatus, or transcriptus or marlieri gombe. They don't always need separate rock piles, you can go with a rock wall along the back IME. Helpful if you end up with two male juli's and need more than two territories. It doesn't always take a rock break for them to mark the lines between.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks prov. No prior experience with Juli's here. My main concern was if they'd be too aggressive towards the Comps. But I'll stick to one of the smaller Juli's you mentioned and keep my fingers crossed. Tangs are great, but it's the learning curve that keeps it interesting. As always thanks for your advice.

Tom

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If you had multiple pairs/trios of juli's then the comps might get squeezed in a tank that size, but otherwise they're a fish that can take the smaller juli aggression just fine IME. Strating with juvies helps always too. It gives all a chance to establish themselves and get used to each other before any pairing up happens.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 2 Comps that I'll be moving to the 20L are juvies. Agreed, I don't want to "squeeze" them with too many Julies. I'm only planning on adding 2 Julies. It's a small tank...I'm shooting for a degree of harmony in this tank, not overcrowding issues. If I want crowds, I'll do a Malawi tank when I set up my new 75gallon. Good advice...thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.