Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI , just wondered if anyone here has kept Tropheus and Compressics toether in the same tank ?
Just wondering of this is something that is possible ?
Cheers, Sean

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Possible? Sure. I wouldn't advise it because, while it doesn't kill Comps to live with trophs, it definitely stresses them out. Indications of stress will manifest in some noticeable behavioral neurosis. I.E they act somewhat normally, for a comp, but everything they do happens twice as fast as they are distracted and drawn to nest protection by all the sudden movement of the trophs.

I'm not a troph guy but I've seen that they are quite aggressive and, while Comps are quite adept at defending themselves in single assault situations they don't quite no what to make of it when they are repeatedly checked out and/or assaulted very frequently.

But weirder things have worked and like I said, I don't think I've ever heard of any Alto dying from Troph harassment (Ususally it's the Altos killing each other!

Good luck

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I have em together. Just a male and female dub and 6 young comps and a pair of calvus.
Agree its something I want to separate ASAP. Even 2 dubs are stressing the Altolamps.
Mix was kind of forced on me by a 7 foot tank braking. So far no dead fish from the mix but I sure want to change it ASAP.

All the best James

·
Registered
790 Posts
I keep 1 single male in with 19 moops and he does great. He is the first one to the food most of the time.

But I bet it all depends on the comps individual personality.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah I kept 5 Black Calvus before and also 2 Fire Fin Comps (at another time) with my Tropheus
If they're fast enough to get food then they're going to be fine :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts