Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gal tank, topfin 60 filter, and with plenty of rocky hinding places (hopefully ill figure out the picture thing soon). Its currently stocked with
a 1.5 in emperor tetra,
a 2 in red zebra,
a 2.5 Kenyi? (blue with black stripes).
a 1.5 in Bumblebee Corydora
and a 2 in pictus catfish
and a 2.5-3 Jack Dempsey

I was considering getting a green terror but at the moment all the green terrors at petsmart are very tiny 1 in at the most. Not sure if itd be safe at that small size. Please let me know your Ideas or concerns.
note
The red zebra may be a mixed lab species its more yellow than the pictures *** seen of red zebras. (He used to be the bully of the tank)
The possible Kenyi was sold to me as a "Mixed African Cichlid" by an idiot at walmart. Suprisingly for a walmart fish his doing very well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would suggest looking at the cookie cutter setups for a 55 gal tank on this forum. Many people usually frown upon mixing africans, central and south american cichlids together. I must admit that I myself have made this mistake before as well when I first started by mixing african cichlids and the central american cichlids. I was fortunate that I did separate them quickly and without any fatalities after learning more about their behaviors from this forum. I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
228 Posts
the kenyi and bumblebee ill give 4 months befor they tear that JD and everything else in the tank

kenyi are nasty and for mbuna they still can get about 7 or 8 inches

·
Registered
116 Posts
wal-mart and petsmart, you must find a non-chain fish store near you, they may be able to help you with stocking and possibly order something specific for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't think you should add anything more to this mix for the reasons outlined above. Things may be cool right now, but you could be in for a lot of trouble as they get bigger.

·
Registered
308 Posts
for one thing he said bumblebee corydora not cichlid and i think u guys are going way overboard the guy i got my convicts from had a kenyi with it for 2 years in a 30 gallon and kenyi arnt as mean as a 10 in jack dempsey but idk. a lot of the fish have different personalities .

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies, I do have a local non chair pet store where i purchase all my snails, the corydora, and my pleco I had he got WAY too big. The JD holds his own and is actually the dominant fish in the tank. I may be misidentifying the Kenyi I cant figure out how to post pics except for on my tank. I plan on sticking with central american for now on, and really want to get a this green terror I saw then I will be done with adding (its addicting). any notes on green terror. And also any advice for feeding tips. The JD Killed and ate a snail yesterday should i start feeding pellets, algae wafers or anything else other than the Tropical flakes every couple days?

·
Registered
16 Posts
My JD eats frozen Mysis shrimp, freeze-dried blood worms, HBH Oscar Grow & South American Cichlid Color pellets and baby guppies. I try to feed him about 10 pellets for breakfast and 10 more for dinner, plus one feeding of live or frozen food before bed. In my opinion, the more variety in a captive animal's diet, the better!

The JD was living with a pleco and a female betta quite happily at 2", but once he hit 3" he ate everyone else in the tank...

You never know when your little guy will decide he's had enough of his "roommates" and turn them all into a nice lunch, so don't be surprised if/when it happens!

·
Registered
228 Posts
to who said kenyi are not as nasty as a 10 in jack.... well yes actually they are they are one of the worst cichlids i have ever owned

i had 2 kenyi in my african tank tearing everything up moved them to my oscar tank who was 9 in and they even picked on him

your fish your risk your call

·
Registered
228 Posts
u will probly want a bigger tank to have a GT and a JD

GT can reach over 12 inches i believe.

but i have seen them both in a 55 together befor just make sure u have a divider handy just in case and make ur decor sort of divide the tank like half and half

and as far as feeding for a JD tropical flakes isnt the greatest it lacks protien try a cichlid pellet and blood worms as a treat..... i also feed my JDs frozen peas and they love them

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have since removed the africans, and brought them to the pets store. got some store credit which was sweet. But now I want a EBJD girlfriend for my male JD any tips or Ideas. I have also added an extra 55gal filter to keep water quality from sneaking up on my future pair.

·
Registered
184 Posts
OK, well I have a male JD and with the most luck ever and I mean it. I found a female EBJD and the EBJD is not as aggression she is almost as aggressive as a angle but she has some thing against tetras. :roll: :roll: Oh and most every one will say it is impossible and yes it is nearly. :fish: :fish:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm ordering a EBJD female next week do I need to get the same size or larger female since its less aggresive?

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you can get a bigger female EB that would be better, as your normal male will grow faster than the EB female. I have an EB that is only 1.5 inches in one of my 75's with 4 2.5 inch BDJD's. But I have a divider in there with holes in it that only the EB can fit through. Once they get bigger and the EB finds a mate I am going to find new homes for the remaining Blu Genes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have removed the African Cichlids from the tank and today I put in a regularfemale JD for the male to pair up with cheaper than waiting for the EBJD So I just went into Petsmart and luckily they had one female large enough to go in with him. They started doing the lip locking and ritual stuff but havent paired off like theyre in love yet. I also have a pictus catfish and a emperor tetra. any tips of getting them to pair up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts