Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a "freak" tank because all my fish are not supposed to be together and they are. african cichlids, angelfish, discus and a couple community fish. they have been toegther for nearly a year and no problems. its a 55 gal tank.
would adding a oscar be too much or would he do fine?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Isn't a 55G big enough only for an oscar alone? I don't know anything about oscars.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would think the Oscar would eat pretty much all the other fish in that tank.

If your fish could handle less than optimal water conditions adding some large haps with an oscar might be the safer option .

Still a 55 gal is not even close to large enough for that kind of stock list.

·
Registered
441 Posts
cantu1216 said:
how fast do they grow? the one being offered to me is about 5 inches. how old do you think he is?
a 5 inch oscar is still a juvie to me.

They can get twice that size easy when full grown.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what would be better options than a oscar? im looking for a fish that will be active and swim around even when people are looking in. and one that gets big but not too big for the tank

·
Registered
162 Posts
Since you are classifying your tank as a "freak tank" why not add a freak fish like a blood parrot!!? :wink:
All kidding aside if your tank is currently working I don't think I would take the chance of adding anything and destroying the current harmony. Though I agree with Jordanroda that your Africans will most likely become more aggressive and destroy all the peace you currently have.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Don't add an oscar. A 55 is considered too small really to house an Oscar on his own, with no decorations. Go read the oscar topic thingy on this forum. (I mean this: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=120976 )

+1 on not disturbing the peace.
+1 on your Mbuna getting rowdy as they mature.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
cantu1216 said:
since they are growing up with the other fish, wont that help lower the aggression towards the others?
Help? Maybe. Eliminate? No. The fish will show their true behavior as they mature and they will defend a territory against trespassers to survive even against their childhood playmates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts