Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im wondering what kind of fish i can keep with m. auratus in a 55 gallon tank i want 2 different harems and i'm doing a 1m to 4f ratio with the auratus because they are nast fellas and i was wondering on an other fish i could throw in their mabe in a 2m to 7f ratio Hongi maybe? no clue anybody do this or know a good option??

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Auratus will do better in a 75G tank or larger, they are very aggressive and need to have 1m:7f for a good chance of success.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay maybe i should trade them in for something what can i do two species of in a 55 gallon i love the hongi the males are gorgeous perhaps them and what else??

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
longislandmbuna said:
okay maybe i should trade them in for something what can i do two species of in a 55 gallon i love the hongi the males are gorgeous perhaps them and what else??
Trading in the auratus is a good idea :thumb:

Here are a couple of ideas to go with the Lab. Hongi (choose one):
Ps. Socolofi (either regular or albino)
Metriaclima Msobo
Metriaclima Estherae (Red Zebra)
Ps. Elongatus (there are several variants, choose one without blue vertical bars)

Since Lab. Hongi are blue with vertical barring, stay away from another species with blue vertical bars because they may fight and/or crossbreed. Most other species of mbuna should be ok provided they don't get too big or feisty for a 55 gallon.

If you're not going to be distributing fry, you could have Lab. Caeruleus in there too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think they will be fine in a 55 gall tank at a ratio of 1m 4f.. I say give it a shot.. In most cases when dealing with the aggresors of mbuna alot of other factors play a role such as aquascape and additional variants.. Sure at 1m 4f alone in a 55 and females will take a pounding.. Another group of something of opposite color will help spread out agression.. That the fun in keeping cichlids.. Curving there habitat to suite there needs.. There are so many combonations to keeping cichlids.. Experiment..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts