Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a begginner question about species compatibility
I am looking to put these species together in a 55 gallon tank. I am getting the fish at a 1" size unsexed obviously. There will be 4-5 of each species. Did as much research on each species as I could and didn't find any irregularities but just wanted the in depth experience of all you experts
Species:
1.) Labidochromis caeruleus "electric yellow"
2.) Pseudotropheus Elongatus Chewere
3.) Cynotilapia Afra Cobue
4.) Cynotilapia White Top Afra (Cynotilapia sp. "hara" from what I have gathered, also the only overtly aggresive fish from what i've read. problem fish?)

Any help would be great. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I thought it was 3 species in a 55g.

I would recommend 1, 2, & either 3 or 4.
I would choose 1, 2, 4. I think the Chewere will be more aggressive than the Cyno Afra "hara".

I have 8 2" C.Afra sp Hara in a grow out tank, they really dont act any more aggressive than any other 2" mbuna I've seen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I did read that a 55 would house 3 species (around 4 each) comfortably but I've read some things that said 16 would be fine too. Anybody else have thoughts

Thanks glaneon

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
16 fish maybe. But three species will work better. 1m:4f of each.

I don't have much luck with quads (1m:3f) because there are still not enough females to spread the aggression as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i was going to do the 1:3 but getting a 1:3 ratio of 1" will be tough. Can't really sex them that well at that size correct?

Think I'm going to go with the 3 species though. Thanks for suggestsions everyone

Any more suggestions/experience would be great.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Right, most often we buy unsexed juveniles and buy double so you can get enough females, and plan to remove extra males as they mature.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So would you say it would be smart to buy 6 or so of each of the 3 species I choose and then weed out the extra males once they mature? Or should I just go up to 8 like you said and weed out accordingly?

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
I'd do 8 but I'd rather not add any and plan to remove 3 than find a year from now I have to buy a bunch more juvies to get enough females.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update for those that might be interested. I ended up stocking the tank with all 1" juvies. I got 3 different species: electric yellows, white top hara, and flametail peacock (11, 9, 7 respectively). I know that this is overcrowded but I have tons of cover for every separate fish and once the fish get a lil bigger and I can actually determine sex I will be thinning out the crowd to ensure a 1:3 - male:female ratio for each species. I have a biowheel and sub-pump. The biowheel is a tetra whisper ex 70 (which by the way is ridiculously loud and I am going to replace with a canister soon pending funds). The sub-pump filtrates 300 gph setup with a sponge powering the under gravel jet system. All 6 jets are getting about the same power (I had this setup before any decorations or substrate were added, required the scoop technology that I picked up from the diy library). This is a 55 gallon tank.

Chem levels after 4 days: pH is 8.3 and nitrate is 0-5, nitrite 0, ammo 0, temp is 79-80.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I know. DJRansome had some good advice on that. I have been watching them closely and just as he said they are figuring out the feeding process and I have been using the sinking pellet trick and it is also helping. I drop the pellets in their little territory and they get a few and find the rest later when everyone else is not feeding. I have 4 of 7 that have figured out the feeding and are joining the rest in the mass crowd of feeding at the top of the tank for the flakes. So far so good. DAY 4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts