Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have an opportunity to get my hands on some red zebras....the blue male/red female variety. The question I have is this,do you think that 2 males/4 females would work with what I have in the tank already....namely 2 male/4 female perlmutt, 1 m/2f rusty and 2m/1f acei?

The tank is a 75g filtered by a fluval fx5 and an ac110....

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Donnie

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I think I'd try it. The acei stay up pretty high in the tank leaving more floor space (sorta kinda lol). As for the numbers I'm not sure...I've always heard 1 male to 3-4 females is best. Is 1M-2F working for you now(with the exception of the acei)?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually the 1m/2f rusty situation is fine....as for the zebras,I am wondering if the 2 males should have more females or would 4 between them be enough?

Anyone else care to chime in on this stock question? Do you think they will be fine w/perlmutts,rusties and acei?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I no that 2 male zebras of most variaties will clash resulting 1 or sometimes both to die. I would only buy the 1 one and 4 females, that way there is more than enough females for the male to vent his aggression and the females won't get worn down once they start breeding.
This fish males especially are usually pretty agro

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gibbs,

I was kind of thinking that 2 males may be a problem. Any thoughts on the compatibility of the zebras with the other residents in the tank?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I dont' see any problem there, if the 2 male Perlmutts are ok with each other then leave them be. I would add a few more Acei though. Perhaps trade one of your males to give yourself the best chance of a good male female ratio, even though it's not that important with these fish but it is always a good idea just for the females sake. Acei also enjoy living in large schools about 5 or 6 would be great.

I presume that the footprint of tour tank is 48x18? If so the Acei will be fine in terms of swimming space :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts