Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question about Mbuna compatibility, I'm new to this so forgive me if it sounds silly. I was looking at the cookie cutter builds on this site for the 75 gallon aquarium. One of the builds has the following note:

"Do not mix any two species of Labidochromis, the Pseudotropheus saulosi with the Pseudotropheus deep or any two Cynotilapia species."

Why would you not want to mix any two species from Labidochromis or any two from Cynotilapia? Are they aggressive towards other fish from their own sub species? I understand not getting two species that look similar in color (cross breeding). Just curious as I told a breeder that I was looking at the following three species:

Labidochromis Caeruleus
Pseudotropheus socolofi
Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli)

Asked if he had any other suggestions to add to the mix. He mentioned a couple other Labidochromis (Hongi "Red Top Hongi", Mbamba "Yellow Top Mbamba").

I kind of like the Hongi, but love the yellow lab. I want to make sure I'm not going to have any issues.

His other suggestions were Pseudotropheus sp. Elongatus (Chailosi and Chewere), Cynotilapia Afra sp Mara Rocks (Mara Rock Afra) and Msobo Deep.

I'm looking at getting 7 of each species possibly 4 maybe 5 species for a total of 28 - 35 fish in the aquarium.

I'm also looking at Metriaclima sp. "dolphin" (Ndonga), but they're kind of pricey, though they are beautiful fish.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Stick with four species max.

"Do not mix any two species of Labidochromis, the Pseudotropheus saulosi with the Pseudotropheus deep or any two Cynotilapia species."

This is to reduce hybridization risk, though the males will often treat other males as spawn competitors and will be extra aggressive towards them. Chances are pretty low that Labidochromis caeruleus and Hongi or Mbamba will hybridize though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts