Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I wouldn't house two different afra variants together if I had any intentions of breeding and distributing fry.

Kim

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Aggression wise - it will depend upon the species. Some of the Cynotilapia species are more aggressive than others. With the right amount of numbers and correct sex ratio - it is quite easily done.

Breeding wise - like Kim stated, most people recommend against it. It can be quite risky to do. I mix multiple species together to breed, but I also watch my fish carefully. Knowing who is "showing" for who is crucial - and "if in doubt, let'em spit 'em out" (I don't keep the fry).

·
Registered
11 Posts
This really depends on what you want these fish to do. If you just want to look at them and have a great tank, then mixing is fine. Like Kim said, if you plan on breeding them, you can't trust that just because a female Jalo has a mouth full of babies that they came from your Jalo male. In my show tank I have many different kinds of cynos and they are great together. I don't keep any fry from this tank, if I want fry I move a group to a 30 and wait. Like spyder said, pay attention to the ratios and enjoy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts