Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - i am thinking about setting up a 200l tank with dwarf mbuna - would it be crazy to mix pseudotropheus demasoni with metriaclima msobo?

If they are compatible, how many of each would you recommend?

Regards

Paul

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
They work well together. Note that msobo is not a dwarf. What are the dimensions of your 200 liter aquarium?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi - thanks for the reply. The tank is ca. 120cm x 40cm x 50cm. It's got quite a large amount of ocean rock in it (as well as coral sand etc).

How big to msobo get if they aren't a dwarf species?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again - does anybody have a view on how many of each species (demasoni / msobo) i should get - i was thinking perhaps 10 - 12 demasoni and 4 - 6 msobo.

do you think that would be about right?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Try to end up with 12 demasoni after removing extra males and 5 msobo. Profiles say 5.5" on the msobo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi - thanks for the response. What sort of m/f ratio should i aim to end up with when it gets to the final 12 - is it 1m to 4f or 1m to 3f?

regards

Paul

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Know that demasoni are challenging. I have had luck with 3 males in a 48" tank but not always. If the fish keep rejecting males...you need to keep removing them to keep the demasoni healthy.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
DJRansome said:
I have had luck with 3 males in a 48" tank but not always.
I've had 2, 3 and 4 males in different tanks to begin with.......but ended up removing extra males (and /or some getting killed) and found one male per tank to work much better.
I sort of think that multiple males, for the most part, are probably at the core of most people's problems with demasoni. Also a reason why they need so darn many in the tank to squash their aggression.
Nothing against starting with large numbers to begin with, but I really don't believe in the magic number 12. I've broken this rule in 4 tanks for over 3 years now with virtually no problems. I think a more traditional ratio of 1 male to 2-6 females works just as well as it would for any mbuna. IMO, key is to identify and get extra males out quick enough before it becomes a real problem.
I think this is worth a read:http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?43297-Twelve-demasoni-minimum Had I not read it, I would not have even tried demasoni. I originally started with 6 demasoni ( 2m: 4f)and got batches of fry with in a couple months from purchase. They are prolific, so i could have as many as I like but keep them this way: 75 gal- 1m: 6f, 125 gal.- 1m:4f. 180 gal.- 1m:3f, 90 gal. had 1M: 3f but changed the tank to an all male so it is now a single male with the females moved to the 180 and 125 to make their current ratios.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
BC in SK said:
DJRansome said:
I have had luck with 3 males in a 48" tank but not always.
I've had 2, 3 and 4 males in different tanks to begin with.......but ended up removing extra males (and /or some getting killed) and found one male per tank to work much better.
I sort of think that multiple males, for the most part, are probably at the core of most people's problems with demasoni. Also a reason why they need so darn many in the tank to squash their aggression.
Nothing against starting with large numbers to begin with, but I really don't believe in the magic number 12. I've broken this rule in 4 tanks for over 3 years now with virtually no problems. I think a more traditional ratio of 1 male to 2-6 females works just as well as it would for any mbuna. IMO, key is to identify and get extra males out quick enough before it becomes a real problem.
I think this is worth a read:http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?43297-Twelve-demasoni-minimum Had I not read it, I would not have even tried demasoni. I originally started with 6 demasoni ( 2m: 4f)and got batches of fry with in a couple months from purchase. They are prolific, so i could have as many as I like but keep them this way: 75 gal- 1m: 6f, 125 gal.- 1m:4f. 180 gal.- 1m:3f, 90 gal. had 1M: 3f but changed the tank to an all male so it is now a single male with the females moved to the 180 and 125 to make their current ratios.
This is very interesting. They are not all that easy to sex, but as you pointed out, females hold frequently and make themselves known. I'll check out that link. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts