Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gonna be picking up 2 wc gold heads at wkend. There not paired but what would be the chances of them doing so? He has a few so would it be best to get a trio? On a side note, are they best in groups or what? cheers

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I would get the trio if I could. Males are pretty intolerant of each other, so unless the tank is very large, or you buy a very big group of them, I'd stick with one male.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If i got a trio, would the remainder female have to be moved on or would she be ok? Is the trio idea to increase chances of a pair or is it better to keep them like that? Ill def stick to on male. cheers

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
What size tank do you have planned for em? My experience of WC Altolamps is have tank barriers ready to pop in. They do not always get on very well straite off.
To get em feeding well you sometimes have to add other fish or they just sulk and take only live food.
Pop in some TB and they lose the shyness/fussyness and compeate for the usual aquarium fare, cichlid pellets and flake. You can always take these out when they start to breed.
As to trios? Well it takes a bigger tank than a pair and make sure the male is the biggest dom fish (not always the case with WC) and give the females shells or caves or plant pots with small holes he can not get into.

All the best James

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tanks a rio 240. *** not decided on full stock yet. Prob some cyps, i have a couple of shellies in there. Whats TB?
Can you explain this please? 'make sure the male is the biggest dom fish (not always the case with WC)'

Pair or trio james? ;) cheers bud

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Not keen on trios myself and in a 240l I would not go for one unless a breeding tank set up for a female each end.
TB = tank bred. I popped a few good feeding TB Altolamps in with my WC pair that where reluctant to feed. Watching these grab everything that was added to the tank soon got them going.
In your communitty I dought you will have probs getting em to feed.
If you set up a breeding tank or quarentine tank (I do suggest you quarentine all WC stock) they can be kind of hard to get to feed well. Its kind of braking quarentine but adding a few known healthy TB can help.
WC come in as random fish. They are sexed but they are not pairs. The females can be quite large and the males quite small. The female can even give the male a hard time untill he grows too big for this.

All the best James

·
Registered
150 Posts
I recently bought A wild caught trio of Comps, also. I have not had a lot of success getting them to coexist in the same tank. In fact they're all 3 in separate tanks right now learning to eat pellets. I'm going to give it another try this weekend with all 3 in the same tank and tons of rockwork and caves.

How are yours working out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts