Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here. I'm not new to african cichlids, but I've never kept tangs. I am going to set up a couple tanks. My main tank will be a 55 gal long tank. I want to set this up as a community tank, but I do NOT want to breed anything in this tank. I want to set it up with all males if possible, but if I add paracyps I'll throw in a few females just to make them happy. I did do a search and most of the discussion around community tangs tanks the advice seems to center around, "well you can put them in there as they're fierce defenders of frye, etc. I don't want pairs and breeding in my community tank. I want variety. So, can I stock it with just males? Maybe 2 or 3 Calvus, 2 Julidochromis Marlieri, 2 caudopuncs, 1 or 2 Neolamp Mustax, 1 or 2 Chalinchromis Nobhoi and a couple Neolamp Cylindricus? Won't they mostly get along? I do plan to scape the majority of the space with lots of rocks.

As an add in, I don't care for Trophs or shellies really (not sure if puncs are truly shellies but I do like them).

So, in theory, I think this should work, but I haven't done such a thing. I have a few other small tanks that I will do as species only tanks. That could help me pull a male only to add to the comm tank. Any insight and advice is quite welcome.

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
Whenever I have tried a single Tang in a tank it was disappointing.

I did a single Tret in a Tang community. He came out to eat and that was it. Not an attribute to the tank.

I did that same single Tret in a Malawi all-male tank. Also a single calvus and some leleupi. They survived but did not thrive...for example the calvus just hovered in place and did not do much.

Their behavior is much different and fun to watch in a tank with males and females. Behavior is one of the main attractions in keeping Tangs.

Are you worried about ending up with too many fry? Not a concern as the adults will eat them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One concern is that most of my favorites are in the Lamp group, the lamps, altolamps and neolamps. Well, if I get pairs or groups, then they will all fight for the same territory. I want variety without aggression.

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
The calvus, julidochromis and caudopunctatus would be fine together.

If you really want to try more than 3 species I would do one of each fish...not 2 or 3. Multiple males will fight even without females in the tank.

The all-male idea works to a point with Malawi, but IDK of any Tang keepers who want to keep such a tank long-term. Even with the Malawi, people get tired of the fish just floating there with no action.

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
I did not see much aggression in my Tang community tanks. Some of them may be fierce defenders of fry, but no one gets hurt except some of the fry. Exception: leleupi with shellies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I have the 55 stocked. I have 1 Dragonblood peacock, 1 red cap lethrinops (I know these aren't tangs and I may eventually move them to a bigger tank), 5 julidochromis marlieri, 2 altolamp black calvus, 1 neolamp cylindricus, 1 neolam lelupi, and 2 neolamp brichardi kipili. Oh, and 2 sydontis, I think they're lace catfish.

I also picked up 4 Goldhead comps, but they're too small so I have them in a 10 gallon. They're only about 1/2" or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts