Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a new 75 gallon and two of my local fish stores have some great deal on fronts, a fish I've always wanted. One store is selling two beautiful fronts both approx 4-5 inches for $99 for the pair. The other store has juveniles for $29, approx 2 inches. Should I even bother trying to put the two in a 75 or 3 juvies in the 75? Unfortunately I can't afford a larger tank at this time.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
The Three Most Asked Questions About Frontosa.

There are lots of fascinating cichlids you can keep in a 75G - countless options come from lake Tanganyika alone. To name just a few, there are tropheus, lots of lamprologine, sandsifters, cyprichromis, and so on. All of those fish will reward you by displaying lots of their natural behaviors in a 75G tank. However, I feel frontosa need at least a 6' tank to come into their own. Sure, there are people who breed fronts in a 4' tank, but then over 60% of the world’s eggs are produced by chickens that have to share the space of a 10G tank with two others. I beats me how that is supposed to be enjoyable to watch :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
what kind of frontosa are they? if they are burundi which is what most LFS sell that doesn't sound like much of a deal to me. you should be able to find them from a local breeder much cheaper. i sold my breeding group of 12 for 200 dollars so i could get a more colorful variation. anyway a 75 gallon would work for a few months for a few juvies but as stated they need a six foot tank.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
fmueller said:

There are lots of fascinating cichlids you can keep in a 75G - countless options come from lake Tanganyika alone. To name just a few, there are tropheus, lots of lamprologine, sandsifters, cyprichromis, and so on. All of those fish will reward you by displaying lots of their natural behaviors in a 75G tank. However, I feel frontosa need at least a 6" tank to come into their own. Sure, there are people who breed fronts in a 4' tank, but then over 60% of the world’s eggs are produced by chickens that have to share the space of a 10G tank with two others. I beats me how that is supposed to be enjoyable to watch :(
Very well put. I know you don't want to hear it..but good advice!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
fmueller said:

There are lots of fascinating cichlids you can keep in a 75G - countless options come from lake Tanganyika alone. To name just a few, there are tropheus, lots of lamprologine, sandsifters, cyprichromis, and so on. All of those fish will reward you by displaying lots of their natural behaviors in a 75G tank. However, I feel frontosa need at least a 6" tank to come into their own. Sure, there are people who breed fronts in a 4' tank, but then over 60% of the world’s eggs are produced by chickens that have to share the space of a 10G tank with two others. I beats me how that is supposed to be enjoyable to watch :(
Very well put. 6 ft long, not 6". I know you don't want to hear it..but good advice!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to hold off for. Maybe I'll come across a larger tank at a good price down the road.

I'm not sure what kind they were. I'm used to seeing them priced at $100 for a 5-7inch fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts