Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally setting back up my 75 G tank. I've always wanted a cichlid tank, but I've seen too many of my friends pair the wrong cichlids. I've done some research, and have chosen a few different species. I was thinking about getting 2 or 3 of the same species, and having maybe 2 or 3 different species. Sorry if the wording is confusing. I need to know if the species I like can be cohabitants.

Nimbochromis
Cyphotilapia
Altolamprologus

Any advice or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!
Well, you have a Lake Malawi followed by two Lake Tanganyika species.
You might want to take a look at the cookie cutter section for 75g for some ideas, as well as to see what species have been combined together.
Feel free to keep posting ideas and asking questions.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Also the frontosa are ideally in a 72" tank. Probably the Nimbochromis too since they are over 10" fish.

·
Registered
843 Posts
In a 75g, you can get 3-4 species as long as they don't get too big, and aren't overly aggressive. I wouldn't do anything that gets bigger than 5-6" and isn't listed as "aggressive" or "highly aggressive."

Remember that most African species are harem breeders, so 1 male needs anywhere from 2-8 females (depending on aggression). Hence why the more aggressive the species, the less species you can have in the tank-- fish will make a bigger territory (cutting into other territories if you aren't careful <- will fight over this) and requires a larger harem.

Like DJR said, I wouldn't do frontosa. If you look in that section, they suggest 6 ft tanks, if not 8 ft as good starting points (8 ft gives you more room to play around with the stocking). Fronts get HUGE too! They're also very shy and should really only be together (with other fronts), though there are other certain species you can keep with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts