Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm somewhat new to keeping African cichlids, but a long time tropical aquarist.

I prefer a non-aggressive tank and currently have a 45 g with 2 female yellow labs (I think) and 2 small Acei (will be rehomed when they get bigger). I've been thinking of getting a juvenile female socolofi, or female cobalt zebra, or female White top Afra because I like their blueish coloration and hopefully less aggressive personalities compared to the males.

Are these female Mbunas more peaceful in general? Will they do fine in a 45g tank with the labs and acei?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 45G?

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
I would not add those species to a 36" tank. Females can be as aggressive as males. I'd just add some yellow labs and call it stocked.

Note that Malawi do not pair, so if either of the acei turns out to be male you may have to rehome sooner. If they are both female, rehome when they get to be 3" including the tail.

·
Registered
767 Posts
A tank of female mbuna will be as aggressive as a male tank.
If a non-aggressive tank is what you seek, you may want to try a different type of fish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My impression is that If they're all females, there wont be any aggression due to mating or competition from males, which is when most of the violent aggression can happen. Their aggression may be limited to territorial disputes or from being bullies.

I just dont see a tank of female labs being as aggressive as a tank of male labs, or a mixture of both sexes.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
The females may be slightly less aggressive, but there will still be a pecking order and disputes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts