Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm writing because my three month owned Ap. Cacatuoides is showing some odd, physical wounds.

He lives in a four year old, planted, 72 g tank along with a handful of other tank mates and one other female Cacatuoides. Temp is 77 degrees, PH is a little under 7, no issues with ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, etc. No other fish in the tank visually suffering.

My cichlid remains at his normal size/weight and remains interested in food. However the bottom of his stomach as swollen out, and there is some scale displacement. When I first noticed it, it appeared to be a physical wound, his fins also went from beautiful to shredded in the same day. Two red lines extend from the site of the swelling and exit the fish. They may be bones. No stringy white feces to report. Instead part of the affected area will seem to sluff off in a small white cloud every so often.

Started the male on epsom salts. No improvement.

It looks absolutely terrible, but I have yet to see major behavior change and it has been at least 5-6 days since I discovered this.

Diet is a bit of a concern as well as constipation since he mostly eats bloodworms and flake and refuses to accept other foods.

Need a hand with this. Physical injury or the south american version of bloat?

Picture attached to second post do to forum requirements.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Hi

Sorry I couldn't view the pictures for some reason so let me ask a few questions: the red lines that exit the fish: can you describe those a little better? How long, fuzzy or smooth, straight--(like a bone) or wavy?

Here's my initial guess as to what is going on:
It's either an injury from one of the the other fish, (the suddenly frayed fins makes me think this)
or
the fish has some sort of intestinal blockage that has caused his stomach and side to rupture. In either case it sounds like it may be infected.

I would remove this fish to a hospital tank right away. If its an injury from an aggressive tank mate you need to get him away from that fish so he can start to heal. Also any open wound can draw other fish to pick at it. Putting him in a hospitial tank will make it easier to treat and observe him.
Then I would stop feeding him until the opening closes up. The epsom salt is good. It works as a laxative and mild analgesic. Make sure his water quality is perfect.
For treatment you could start with melafix but you may also need an antibiotic. Some choices readily available at most fish stores
Maracyn and Maracyn-two, (use them together)
Kanamycin
Furan 2

I've actually had members with fish who had a hole that food was actually escaping from and the fish actually survived. But it's really important to keep the area from getting infected.

Please post back with any additional questions/concerns and if I don't answer back it's because we're getting a huge snow storm here in Maine and sometimes we lose power.

Robin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lines are straight, not fuzzy. It is a little bit hard to tell from the picture because the outside of the tank has a bit of calcium on it which makes this picture fuzzy. I'll remove him to a hospital tank and dose the hospital tank with epsom.

Feel bad witholding food much longer it's been at least four days since last feeding and he's pacing whenever I come by. :(

Time to go wash out the old 20 gallon ;p.
Pretty sure I've still got both maracyns, not sure if I've got melafix though. Start dosing both right away?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's definitely it. Never heard of them before but unmistakable in appearance.

When I put the adult male in isolation in the hospital tank I got a good chance to stare at him. The protrusions seemed very rigid but still seemed to pulsate red to white and move a tiny bit.

The video you attached shows the pulsation.

Now I've just got to find the medication, hopefully my other fish won't catch these guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow... that is absolutely terrifying the more that I read about it. I just thought he was constipated or I would have isolated him way sooner. Of course it doesn't sound like it would matter.

Your LFS sell you this medication or is it something I need to track down through a vet or the internet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Levimasole discontinued in the USA. Can't find it anywhere.

Anyone know of a good plan B for treatment of camalanus worms?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Email this guy: [email protected]

He sells it through the site that i linked you to. There is a certain process that is suggested to follow while treating your tank too. It requires heavy water changes and keeping your lights off as the lights may possibly hinder the potency of the levamisole.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes - Apparently they changed the name of the product to Vermisol. Under that name it was a bit easier to find.

I'm having it shipped in from Foy's pidgeon place. Should be here by Tuesday, I hope. Martin Luther King Jr. Day may effect my postage and arrival on it. For now, my Cockatoo cichlid is hanging in there. This is one tough fish.

Fortunately, he is still eating for now, so I don't have to be worried about starvation yet. I tried some jungle labs parasite ridding flakes, as they have small doses of Levimasole in them, and they seemed to help a bit, but the worms still remain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Limpert! Please tell me this happened to your fish too while being treated?

****! My camera just ran out of battery while trying to upload a picture. There is perhaps a four inch white trail protruding from his bleeding vent that looks completely impossible. He was skinny yesterday during the first day of treatment, but the worm count appeared to be receding.

Now... it doesn't even look like he could have had as much inside of him that is now outside of him.

The terrifying thing is he is STILL behaving normally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You can't see it very well for this picture, but I do have a great video of it. One of the oddest things I have ever seen.

The cichlid in question appears to be recovering oddly enough. The white... whatever it was is gone, and he is eating again.

I'm starting to think he might actually pull through.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts