Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for a female kenyi about 2 inches to breed with a 1 inch male blue cobalt zebra. I ask because i saw these 2 fish at a fish store and they were the only 2 fish in the tank the female was holding eggs.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Quite possible. But there may have been other denizens in the tank a few days ago. The father could be a melanochromis auratus, or even an OB peacock. Who knows?!

Edit: I didn't notice that the male was only 1 inch. If that's the case, then he probably was not able to fertilize them. They may be unfertilized, or it's possible someone else was in the tank a few days ago and that's the father.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kanorin said:
Quite possible. But there may have been other denizens in the tank a few days ago. The father could be a melanochromis auratus, or even an OB peacock. Who knows?!

Edit: I didn't notice that the male was only 1 inch. If that's the case, then he probably was not able to fertilize them. They may be unfertilized, or it's possible someone else was in the tank a few days ago and that's the father.
I go to my local fish store very often and the two of them have been in their for a while no other fish has been in their and they have not really restocked in fish yet. The last time they had auratus was somewhere between december and feburary. I bought the 2 of them (gonna get rid of the cobalt) can you tell if the eggs are fertilized or not? From what i see the eggs are yellow.

·
Registered
181 Posts
One of my females started holding after 3 weeks alone in the hospital tank so my guess is that they don't need a male or a mature male to trigger the desire to do their part in the breeding process :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts