Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought a male cobalt blue a couple of days ago and he doesn't appear to be eating. He is the largest fish in the tank and doesn't seem to be bullied by any tank mates and appears to be wuite happy. I have heard they are primarily vegetarian and have tried a variety of foods, spirulina, flakes, cichlid pellets and frozen food. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I'd starve the tank for a day and then see if they all eat or not.

If he doesn't eat, I'd assume he is sick since you just got him and treat him for bloat.

In my world view, a cichlid not eating (and not holding) is a sick cichlid.

Not sure what you can get in Australia, but I have found metronidazole is a great treatment that doesn't trash your bio-filter, I'd try it if the Cobalt is showing nothing else at this point.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Also..look at his poo. If it's white and stringy, that is a sign of bloat. It would help to know the size tank, and tankmates, as well. Also, is this a new or established tank? Do you know the tank P.H., Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just had the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tested, all clear.

It's not a new tank, although in recent months I changed from standard tropical to Africans, so new substrate. Did not touch the filter though. PH is 7.9-8.0 hardness around 320, so nothing obvious out of the ordinary. Tank is 4ft and about 180 liters, not sure what that is in gallons?

His tank mates are a variety, one Tropheus duboisi, one Julidochromis regani, a few electric blues, a Neolamprologus brichardi, a couple I have no idea of what they are but all are 1-1.5" while the cobalt is 2.5". Definitely not holding as it's a male. Haven't seen any poo from it yet so can't comment on that. Might try one day starvation idea and see what happens.

Thanks heaps, will keep you posted
Chris

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
180 liters is about 47 U.S. gallons. You have quite a mix of fish there. The Electric Blues you have, are they striped a.k.a. Maingano? IMO your tank is too small for all the fish to have a territory. Brichardi can be evil, as well, but usually only when they are breeding. Sounds like you have about 12 fish in this tank. When they all get sexually mature, it can turn into a nightmare. If it were my tank, for longterm success, I'd pick one or two species, and go for a breeding group of each.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Electric blues (4 of) are Sciaenochromis fryeri, but all other species are 1 of each. I have 11 fish in the tank, so good guess Florida girl, but that's including 1 bristlenose cat which I forgot to mention. I probably have gone a bit mad initially, but they all look so good, how do you choose only two to stick with?

Is it worth putting some fresh veg in there for the cobalt? What do most people feed them on?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Chris O said:
The Electric blues (4 of) are Sciaenochromis fryeri, but all other species are 1 of each. I have 11 fish in the tank, so good guess Florida girl, but that's including 1 bristlenose cat which I forgot to mention. I probably have gone a bit mad initially, but they all look so good, how do you choose only two to stick with?

Is it worth putting some fresh veg in there for the cobalt? What do most people feed them on?
I've been there, overstocked, or tried some combinations that didn't work. Do you have other tanks to move the fish to, if they don't get along? That is the key to trying an all male or mixed tank, because you will have issues like a fish not eating, or bloat, or a shredded fish (when aggression goes on behind your back). Right now, you've got two lakes, different habitats, and fish that are carnivores and herbivores. I'd feed NLS, if I was to attempt this. Also, find out what the other fish are, as some real nasties are commonly sold at petshops..i.e Kenyi, Auratus, Crabro...to say the least. And, maybe only abut 6 fish, so they can try to find a place in your tank to call their own. HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts