Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been toying with the idea of planting my tank up a bit. As of now I have a few plants, some vals, a java fern, etc. Usually I rotate them between my main tank, my fry tank, and if they are really beat up, my 10 gallon guppy tank (where nothing touches them at all). I was thinking about a cheap CO2 setup, anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have any ideas of some folks who have had success? Finally, any serious planted African Cichlid tanks I could look at for reference?

Fluval(?) has a cheap cartridge based CO2 system that's like $35, not bad, it's rated for 40 gallons but for a mildly planted tank I think it would work in a 75, what say you?

75 gallon, dual AC110 filtration
8x Ps. Acei (Ngara Bay / White Tail)
7x C. afra
7x L. caeruleus (Yellow Labs)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Number6 said:
What sort of lighting do you have on the tank? CO2 may be a waste of time...
I have a T5 lighting setup, programmable with 4 bulbs. Currently it has the 'factory' two 10kK and two Actinic bulbs, but I can swap those out pretty easily if you have any suggestions of what will work better! I know actinic is useless for these types of plants, but I figured the two 10kK bulbs will be enough lighting, and the Actinic really makes the White-Tail acei and Afras "pop"

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
the actinic aren't useless. 4 T5s should be producing a fair amount of light... the CO2 will likely help. The hagen item is only good IMO for the bubble ladder. I'd rather daisy chain see through bottles made from juice containers than use their contraption. and yes, I own it :lol:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Number6 said:
the actinic aren't useless. 4 T5s should be producing a fair amount of light... the CO2 will likely help. The hagen item is only good IMO for the bubble ladder. I'd rather daisy chain see through bottles made from juice containers than use their contraption. and yes, I own it :lol:
Hmm, I may look into a juice container setup then! What about shutting it off at night, so as not to be injecting co2 into a tank that's not being consumed by plants, any detrimental effect to those setups with a shutoff valve?

Another thought, is to move my growout tank up off the ground and onto a matching stand (one that matches the 75 I mean), and go all out planting it. Hmm, I'm just thinking out loud now but I'm torn between a love for African Cichlids and a desire to get into a planted tank, which don't always seem to mix well! lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts