Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of other areas not near me having fish clubs/auctions and what not, I did some research and found out there are none in my area. I live in a pretty big area with seven pretty big cities within a half hour of each other. They do have one or two reef clubs but I was looking into a cichlid type club. I would like to start to gather info on clubs that are established and how they came to. I know there is a lot of interest in freshwater fish in this area but no clubs,general info ,groups ect.... Thought I'd take a stab at starting one here. I live in the Hampton Roads area in South eastern VA. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do we mean to say no one here has a cichlid club in their area?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
I live in the NYC area and there are no traditional clubs (to my knowledge) that specialize in cichlids. Lots of traditional clubs, but they are general aquarium societies. We do have one cichlid group centered around a forum that has monthly trips/events, so it functions pretty much like a club.

In any case I understood your question to be how to start a club...which I don't know. Believe I have read past posts that you would contact your regional "council" and say I want to start a club and they tell you next steps.

Here we have NEC (North East Council of Aquarium Societies). You could also contact the ACA (American Cichlid Association) and see if they have info. Or attend the convention in July (Washington DC area) and ask around. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes general aquarium societies is a term I would be going for. We have nothing here and would love to at least initiate something. Thanks a bunch for the Info . :)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
There are several national organizations that can help you out. The first and foremost would be the Federation of American Aquarium Societies or (FAAS). They can provide you information on how to setup your club, provide contacts for finding speakers, and give you insight on rules for club programs such as BAP and HAP. They can be reached at www.faas.info/

If there is anything the ACA can help you with please let me know. I am the Local Club Liaison currently for the ACA and if there is anything I can provide you I would be happy to. You can reach the ACA at www.cichlid.org
Thanks,

Andy Hudson

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much Andy. I will be getting the ball rolling here soon.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I would highly encourage you to attend the ACA convention in DC in July. It's a great way to make contacts for future speaker engagements.

Hopefully I will see you there!

Andy

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will most likely make it. I have to look at dates and request time off from work but I can make it happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts