Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tropheus was shipped to me and I put him in a community Cichlid 75 gallon tank. ( I realize now that he should be in a tank with his own kind ) After a few days he had signs of bloat. It took me a few days (3) to get the erythromycin and an emergency isolation tank. A trusted aquarist told me to raise the temp to 85 degrees. Water parameters are WNL. He is 2 days into the schedule of treatment with erythromycin with no improvement so far and looks a bit worse with more rapid breathing but he is otherwise just staying in one place. I am not feeding him.
I just read the article in this forum about bloat treatment with Clout.

Now I am noticing some other fish in my community tank are not eating and are hiding a lot. The Clout will arrive here in 4 days (?) they say. The Tropheus will complete the erythromycin in another 2 days of adding the erythromycin.

Question: Should I treat the Tropheus with Clout also when it arrives? I will definitely be using the clout for the main tank.

Eventually the Tropheus , if he lives, will go into another tank with others of his kind.

Also does clout affect plants?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I would stop the erythromycin now since it is for bacterial infections...not bloat.

To diagnose bloat look for white or clear feces...not a lack of eating.

I would also lower the temp gradually.

If the fish have bloat treat the whole tank, including the tropheus. It is a harsh medication and can impact your cycle. Not sure about the plants.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts