Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water has clouded up a bit in the last few days. The tank has been up and running a little over 4 weeks. It finished cycling about a week ago. My readings are all at zero. The fish seem happy. I did a 40% water change about 3 days ago and added Prime as usual. Is this anything I should be worried about? Should I do another water change? Should I wait it out? There are currently 9 juvie Mbuna in the tank. It's 90 gallons with an AQ 110 and Jebo canister. Thanks.

·
Registered
705 Posts
if your testing and all that id not worry to much. it cant be chemical it could also be just cloudy water. it happens from time to time with new tanks that dont have toooo much bacterial buildup. hope this helps dont worry about it so long as ur still checking chemical lvls. just try to do regular water changes and hopefully it goes away.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Ammonia-0. Nitrite-0, Nitrate-0, PH-8, water temp-79.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
API test kit, I just bought it about a month ago. What should I do?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
dmpjr said:
API test kit, I just bought it about a month ago. What should I do?
Were you using the same test kit when you were cycling your tank? Did you get ammonia and nitrite readings with this test kit while monitoring the cycle?

You might also want to retest your nitrates. I find that test to be one of the easier ones to screw up. You need to really shake the second test solution bottle and test tube, after adding the second solution, when doing the test.

I know this doesn't directly answer your original question but getting accurate readings on your tank might help someone help you figure out the cause of the cloudy water.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I've seen this cloudiness associated with very high ammonia levels, but that's not what you have if your testing is accurate.

As zimmy said, make sure you follow the instructions for the nitrate test exactly as far as shaking bottles, tubes, or you'll get a false low reading. And check the expiration dates on the kits. I'm assuming that they're ok since you just used them when cycling the tanks.

I've heard of this being normal in new tanks, but I don't believe it is or should be. I've not see it ever.

What you don't want to do is over-react and start adding things and making a lot of changes on a newly cycled tank. The cloudiness can happen from overfeeding, so watch the feeding, even reduce it for a bit, and give it time as the cloudiness is not harmful to the fish. You don't mention it, but avoid any filter cleanings right now and for the next 30 days or so.

Post back if the problem persists.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine was kind of "milky" looking for a while. Lots of frequent water changes and a little time cleared my water up. It is crystal clear now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked and the test kit isn't expired. I did the test several times and come up with the same readings. It is the same kit I used to cycle the tank and it did show readings through the cycling process. Overfeeding could very well be my problem. I haven't gotten that part mastered yet. They always seem hungry and I like watching them eat...I know..my fault. I slowed down on the feeding yesturday and it has cleared up a bit today, not crystal clear, but better. I have not touched the filters at all and I will not for a while I guess. I am doing about 40% water changes twice a week, is that too much?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I cut back on the feeding and haven't changed the water since the last 40% change which was on Tuesday. Water is less cloudy but still not crystal clear, improving though.

My concern is: my Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0, and Nitrates=0. The last time I had a reading of Nitire and Nitrate was on Feb. 7th, they both read 5.0 ppm. I've tested several times, I shake the test tubes well and let them sit to get an accurate reading.
My fish seem to be doing ok. Is this something I should be concerned about?

The tank is a 90 gallon and stocked with about 12 juvie Mbuna.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i would give it another week before you worry about doing anything. no more water changes. if there is no Ammonia or Nitrites then i wouldn't change your water and let your Nitrates build up to a level you can read. 20-40 is perfectly fine for Nitrates so don't change the water when you see the first little bit. it will take a while for the Nitrates to show up with your tank stocked so low. i think its a combination of bacterial bloom and over feeding. feed twice a day only what they eat in about 2 min. like one small pinch at a time and when its gone add more tell you know how much they will eat in a short amount of time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I will wait patiently.
So, it is ok to add more fish? I didn't want to overstock the tank but I'd love to add more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
90 gal you could have 20-30 fish but make sure you get the right kind. one male and 4-5 females of each species. of course i would add any tell your tank is done cycling, its not because there is no Nitrates. if you do add more fish you will need to do more water changes when they get bigger.

But I'm no expert lets see what a Moderator had to say about it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The problem I'm having is I have no idea if mine are male or female. I guess that's the problem with buying juvies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts