Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having some issues with my water staying cloudy. all my water levels are good but water does not seem to clear. any ideas.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All of my ph nitrates gh and kh are good. cut down on there feeding. I am not new to fresh water tanks, but i am stumped on this one. out of my three tankes this is the only one that just doesnt want to clear up. Its not bad, but its not ideal for a tank that is ment to be to be my prize tank lol. well at least for now. In the process of geting a new 250 gall tank set up should have all equipment and decor for tank set up by the end of july I hope.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This is the tank i have ordered. just tank and stand of course, lol. image is of a 300 gall. mine will be a 2500 with a 60x36x63 1/2 total dim for tank and stand. soooo looking forward to it. have been waiting and saving for a very long time for this tank.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did a 65 percent new water change about 4 days ago. New filters and bio filters about 3 days ago. still using the same cichlid sand i have had. vacumed out the sand when water exchange was done. and it is more of a misty white.

·
Registered
587 Posts
From reading around there's really three causes of white cloudy water.

1. Gravel Residue.

2. High level of heavy metals, phosphates, or silicates. But if you said you pH level is good then maybe it's not this.

3. Bacterial blossom but this occurs in new tank setups. If it's happening in an older tank setup, it could be from over feeding, insufficient filtration or too many fish in the tank.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im thinking it might be a mixture of residue and over feeding. I have reduced there feeding scedule and pulled every thing out of the tank and stered up the sand to bring every thing to the top. and going to vacume out the tank tommorow. I guess we will se what happens.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well guys up date on the tank is that all is well and crystal clear now. Got some more test Chem. And tested it all nitrate was slightly elevated, but other than that pretty good. Vac. The sand and got all the debris and wast out of the tank. Did another water change. Adjusted all of the water properties. And we are back to good. Think vacuum the sand was the key though. Thanks guys for all your help. :thumb: :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts