Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 46 gal bowfront tank that has 5 cichlids in it i had 2 biowheel 350s and the water was always cloudy now even after i just went out and bought a fluval 305 the waters still cloudy i dont understand i do water changes frequently and use stress coat and stress zyme each time what else can i do??

·
Registered
12 Posts
i had that problem with my 55 gallon community tank before i put one of those polishing pads in and it cleared it up in a couple of days if its really really bad make sure you keep an eye on the pad to see if it gets clogged and just rinse it off and put it back in. it kept my tank crystal clear. they are a little pricey for just a pad but they do the work great. hope this helps ya out i know its no fun to look at a cloudy tank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick responce what exactly is the polishing pad and do they make it for a specific filter brand?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not a new tank make waterchanges/clean the tank every 2-3 weeks i feed them 2 times a day smaller portions then i been

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
How long has it been set up? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

Do you put carbon without rinsing? Do you have sand that the fish stir up?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tannable75 said:
How long has it been set up? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

Do you put carbon without rinsing? Do you have sand that the fish stir up?
carbon comes with the fluval i rinsed it all good before putting in,the tanks been set up about 6 months now with a sand bottom (pfs) and that was also washed very good.the amonia and nitrite are slightly high but nothing bad i will be doing another waterchange tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If it has been up for six months and your ammonia and nitrite are slightly high then your tank is going through a mini cycle for some reason. The cloudy water is likely a bacteria bloom associated with this mini cycle.

I'm guessing you took the old filter out when you put the new one in? If so this is the source of the issue. The old filter had lots of the bacteria living in the biowheel and when that was removed the tank had to cycle and colonize the new filter. If possible, I would run both the new and the old filter for a few weeks. Alternately you will need to do water changes or use attitives to keep the ammonia an nitrite down to a safe level.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently just experienced the same thing. My local fish guys told me that it was a bacteria bloom and to change out the polishing pads to give the bacteria a new place to call home. Plus adding very porus rock with also give the bacteria a new home as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently just experienced the same thing. My local fish guys told me that it was a bacteria bloom and to change out the polishing pads to give the bacteria a new place to call home. Plus adding very porus rock with also give the bacteria a new home as well. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts