Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aquarium has been established for probably 2 1/2 years, but about 8 months ago I re-stocked it. This morning when I got home, I did my usual weekly 33% w/c. I did nothing I don't usually do(changed the filter pad on my wet/dry, changed the water) but when I woke up this morning, the tank water is a little cloudy. I'll be honest, I've been busy and skipped last week's water change(but I still changed the pad) so, could I have caused a mini-cycle somewere? Or should I dig out my test kit?(I really don't want to, I don't even know were its it)

·
Registered
453 Posts
The only way to tell if you had a mini-cycle is by measuring ammonia and nitrite and see if there is any present in the water.

Cloudy water is not due to nitrifiers - they can't multiply that fast.

Your cloudy water is due to a sudden growth of heterotrophic bacteria that bloomed because when changing the water you stirred up from organics (from the filter pad, from the gravel, from ??) and those organics became food for the heterotrophs. Heterotrophs can divide every 20 to 30 minutes (versus nitrifiers which take 20 to 35 hours!) which is why you see cloudiness.

Ammonia is produced by the heterotrophs degrading the organics so you might have a little ammonia or nitrite but like I said only way to tell is to measure them.

Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.