Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me!

I have had my tank set up since August 2010, about 5 months now. I have not suffered any fish loss, and when I first added fish I used smart start instant cycle at the advice of LFS owner. Everything has been really good, except my water has always been somewhat cloudy. For a while everything was good, pH was stable and I was doing regular weekly water changes.
I spoke to a LFS around October, November about my cloudy water problem, he advised a micro filter (it is like felt) and accu-clear to bind to particles in water. It did seem to improve slowly and even for a week or so we noticed the water was really clearing up nicely. However, after a water change on Jan. 1st the cloudiness has gotten much much worse. AND my pH has gotten totally wonky! I have been searching all over your site for help, and I have been doing a 20% water change every other day.
My last water change was the day before yesterday and I started using your buffering recipe with epsom salt and baking soda. It has helped a lot with the pH thankfully. The cloudiness will seem a bit better after a water change, but the next day it is just as cloudy if not even more cloudy!
My fish do not seem the least bit bothered by the cloudiness. It is me who is upset that I can't even see the back of my tank. As far as I can tell, I may have bacterial bloom? Does this sound likely to you? I admit, I am guilty of overfeeding, I had a female spit her young out on Christmas day and I started feeding a bit more to 'help' them survive :(
Do i need to step up on the water changes? is doing nothing better?
It is a 92 gallon with 13 assorted peacocks, upside down catfish and a bristlnose pleco.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I admit, I am guilty of overfeeding, I had a female spit her young out on Christmas day and I started feeding a bit more to 'help' them survive
I was thinking overfeeding before you even said this. Stop the water changes and don't feed for several days or even a week. You'll know if that's it. That's what I'd almost guarantee that it is. Your fish won't starve. They can go for much longer than a week and be fine. Many who leave on a trip for a few days without leaving anyone in charge of feeding report that they come home to a tank of water more clear than it's ever been.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i use accu clear and it clear my water very fast after a water changes the same thing was happening to me. don't over feed and clean your tank once a week and you be fine.
some times this happens to new aquariums once your filtration is stable it wont happen any more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh thank you for the replies I feel so much relief! I had cut feeding to just once a day for 2 days but I will not feed them today and do as you suggest prov, sounds like good advice. Better than 50% water changes every day!

Zimmy, that thread was helpful, I hadn't seen it, I only 'scoured' the most recent 5 or 6 pages, lol - I hadn't thought of UV light, and I willconsider that for sure if I don't get any results from the no feeding.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
amonia and nitrate readings are always 0ppm. I have a 10 gallon that occassionally read 0.25ppm nitrates - and i always do a water change for both tanks at that time or once a week. So the 92 gallon has never had those readings go up.

My boyfriend had a UV light he is loaning me I set up over filter area (wet dry biofilter undertank) and I also haven't fed since saturday. So far, I do think it is clearing up some.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Your nitrates should be readable... ammonia & nitrites, those should be at 0.

However, I've had GREAT tank readings and still had cloudy water - I do not believe there is any reliable conclusion one can come to with that.
ie, if 0/0/10 (amm, nitrite, nitrate) can be cloudy - then it doesn't matter if they have 2/2/75.
I've had 0/0/180 be crystal clear (turtle tank, nasty buggers).

But I'd 2nd the over feeding suggestion.

let us know how the UV light goes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oops, my test is for nitrites - I don't have a tester for nitrates/ got them mixed up.
I tested today again pH ~ 7.8, 0ppm Nitrite, 0ppm Ammonia. Still cloudy today, only day 2 of no feeding. The UV hasn't produced any miracles yet.

·
Registered
572 Posts
also try no more algae by jungle r terta,u may have a algae bloom,have the same problem sometimes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
an update for anyone who has this issue in future, it is early on day 4 of no feeding and my water is still cloudy, but it has improved quite a bit so i am convinced this was the solution. I did a 20% water change yesterday to help speed it up.
Hopefully only 2 or 3 days until it is crystal clear!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Good glad to here that,my water is clear also

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Day 6 no feeding and YES! my tank is so much clearer! In another two or 3 days it should be perfect. Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi kunicat2,

As you noted it was the over feeding that likely caused the cloudiness, I was wondering what type/brand of food you were feeding?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah it is all crystal clear, amazing! I only had to stand back and do nothing for 7 straight days!
I was feeding a bulk flake my lfs sold me, now he suggested I stick to pellets.

·
Registered
441 Posts
New Life Spectrum is the best staple for your fish I would try that.

Also, try their thera A. which has extra garlic to boost the fishes immune system.
It makes for good parasite prevention.

I feed mine NLS once a day and then spirulina flake as a second feeding every 3rd day. I only use NLS thera A once a week, as a replacement meal for the normal NLS.

Of all the different water clarifiers I have used.

I think the bio magnet clarifier works the best,

but I have only seen it packaged with the carib sea brand substrates.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts